Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Found A G24

boo radley

I hit a gunshow in my area this weekend, for primers, brass and powder, and decided to keep a weather eye out for a beater G22, as a back-up to my G35, which I've reluctantly come to accept I shoot as well as anything, and better than most things I own/have tried.

Of course this realization came after selling all my "Limited" parts and accessories -- dawson pads, holster, magwell, etc.

Anyway, while I don't *need* a back-up, I figured if could find a 22 at the right price it would be handy to have an instant replacement or lower/upper, if needed, plus a 2nd gun for Production, etc.

To make what's getting to be a long story longer, I did stumble into a 2nd generation G24 in mint condition listed at $495. Actually I have to give credit to another member here, 'BP78', who had spotted it hidden in a glass case.... Not quite the back-up I'd had in mind, and that 6" barrel really is funky. Left the show, went home...had lunch. Just to "see," did a bit of surfing, and price-checking on this gun. Hmm...Bet it's accurate. And I WOULD be able to shave a couple tenths of a grain of powder of my major loads -- flatter shooting, AND a cost savings. Aaagh! Back in the truck. Back to the gun show. Still there!

Very difficult negotiations -- it was a consignment pistol, and no, the dealer didn't want $450, nor $455, nor $460 plus my Glock Armorer's tool. But he would do $475. Done!

Yesterday afternoon, took her to the range, along with her sister, my trusty 35. Interesting. I'd forgotten how awful a stock trigger and sights are. I put up some small pie-plates at 15 yards, and the initial results weren't too pretty, until I really rode the reset. Put the 24 slide on my 35, with the tuned trigger, and tore clover-leaves. With sights and a trigger job, this is going to be a proverbial tack-driver I suspect.

It's certainly flatter shooting, though it's tough to really compare until I get the same sights. Otherwise...it's just not all that different, except it won't fit in my DOH. So now I get to go off, and buy back everything I sold again. Nice.

But this should be a dynamite Ltd class gun, and I'd like to make it to A-class this year with her.

post-5556-1169387007.jpg

I know the feeling,

I Too bought sometihng or well put it on layaway since

I was not expecting to find a buy..

Walked into the Cabela's Ft/worth store and there in the

used section was a G17L 2gen frame @399 , well one look and off

to layaway we went.

Now that i am soon to be in the ranks of being a Glock owner

I have to start looking for the Little things that make them

run...

Now where is the best place to buy mags and how

would be the best setup for a 17L ...

I know I will be buying a dawson magwell , and pads

just need to start thinking about how I want to run it.

open / limited.... ???????

Nice find. Especially with a 2nd gen frame. I really don't like finger grooves and all of my Glocks are 2nd gen. I think I probably would have wallked out of the gun show with that too (and slept in the doghouse that night!) :lol:

Thx AustinMike -- I didn't, uh, particularly feel the need to advertise this purchase with my wife. Not hiding anything, but...since she's not a shooter, why bore her with equipment decisions? <grin>

I really don't notice much difference with and w/out the finger grooves, but I'd just assume not have them.

Z -- not even a little pretty? You know, until recently I was also going to shoot SS, or L10, at the Florida Open, but my experience this year with a 1911 has been pretty painful. I think it's more a .40 vs. .45 thing, but I got tired of stage after stage w/out seeing a sight picture.

Hey Boo, I can see your future.

Ha, almost SA!

Just put a Dawson F/O front sight on her, and Heine rear...(I'll have to try the Warren sights Kevin C recommends at some point). Bought a CR-Speed holster off the USPSA classifieds, and ordered a Dawson ICE (not heavy) magwell and a couple +4 basepads from CPWSA -- a forum vendor. Oh - and have a Novak extended guide rod on its way, along with 15-lb Wolff springs. All the foo-foo crap Flex hates, and worse, all the stuff I recently had *sold*. :wacko:

The trigger seems fine with just a light polish (ruined an extra trigger bar by using a file) and a reduced striker spring. So far 100% of my primers are lighting, and it's plenty light enough. Or I may just put the 24 upper on my 35 frame, which has the R Sotelo kit (but regular striker spring).

I'm in kind of a quandry about what to load. I've been shooting 180 Montana Gold's out of my G35 -- 1.135" with ~4.5gr of TG and making 168pf, or sometimes less.

Just bought 2k of Zero 180 JHP's, and they seem much faster, for some reason:

4.5 gr TG:

G35: 961 and 963 average (2 x 10shot strings)

G24: 995 and 982 average

4.1 gr TG:

G35: 876 average (!!)

G24: 893 and 904 average

I'm surprised the bottom dropped out that fast. I'll probably load to 4.3, for the G24. It seems about 20fps faster than the 35.

But what I'm really hoping, is my future contains better shooting and less worrying about gear.

Here are the two loads I worked up:

4.9 Grains Universal Clays

180 HP Zero

Rem brass

Win small pistol primer

1.135 OAL

I also had the same with 4.3 Grains of TG. The Universal Clays felt better to me, so that's what I regularly load.

The zeros have softer jackets than the MG's, so they get to speed with less powder. Stick with the 15lb recoil spring. The 13lb doesn't lock up the chamber and slide consistantly. I changed to a KKM barrel. It makes reusing brass a little bit easier and it supports better, but using the factory barrel isn't that big a draw-back. I got the KKM for better brass life.

I have never felt at a disadvantage against a2011's because I was shooting a Glock, but I have definately felt at a disadvantage against other shooters who just happened to have 2011's ;) I'm using the money I saved for bullets.

Edited by SA Friday