Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 purchasing

phenex

Phenex,

I've had a Kimber Gold Match since 1998 that has served extremely well.  It has a good trigger, it is accurate and reliable, eats what I feed it, no hassles, except one:  the magazine that came with it sucked.  I bought several Wilson's in 8 & 10 round varieties, and haven't looked back. The fit and finish on the gun are really beautiful.  

You can't go wrong with a Kimber.  Probably can't go wrong with a Springfield, either.  

Some of these guys with hi capacity double stack guns will tell you they have to get their magazines "tuned" to get them to work.  Probably not so important for 10 round mags.  

For a new shooter like me, the gun should be reliable over all else.  I don't get enough practice time at the range to try 10 different spring weights, and I don't want the gun to fail during a match!  Consider the KISS principle!

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Phenex,

I don't know about Tucson, but Phoenix/Scottsdale has to be the gunstore capital of planet earth.  There must be 20+ gun stores / manufacturers within 10 miles of Dillon Precision in Scottsdale.  The cats at Dillon can probably tell you of reputable places to go shop.  I used to have a customer a couple of blocks away from Dillon and we literally hit one or two new gunstores every day during lunch.  You should be able to find what you want in Phoenix in an afternoon, be able to inpect it in person, and pay a decent price for it.  I'd be making a roadtrip before I went through the hassle of having guns mailed to FFL's.  Plus, if I was in the market for a Para, I damned sure wouldn't be plunking down dinero sight unseen.  Too many people have had major issues with junker Paras to be gambling like that.  (I'm not saying a properly built Para is a bad gun.)

Just my 2 pesos,

E

Quote: from phenex on 10:03 pm on Jan. 24, 2003

Thanks for all the great info everyone, I think I am ready to buy my new gun now- I have learned allot about different guns in the last couple of days :-)

Keep us Posted , Have you checked out the Trojans errr STI TRojans not the one from Walgreens.

I checked out all the guns including the trojan, I am leaning towards a kimber classic until I get to to b class, right now I am at the bottom of d. so it may be a while. I am going to buy brian's book and keep watching matt's video, and maybe dry fire once or twice :-) and see if that helps. If I win the lottery, I may get some private lessons too :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, I actually am getting a Kimber custom royal-it is a Jon Merricks Special! and also am training with Matt Burkett this month---so if that doesnt get me out of D class--Nuthing Will!--thanks for all the info on purchasing a 1911---