Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights For Competition

ruready

New member here and just got hooked on to practical shooting. I currently have a Kimber TLE that comes with meprolight fixed night sights and I'm finding that I am having a hard time picking up my front sights on follow up shots. Would changing to a different sight help me on this or do I just have to learn it. Any recommendation is appreciated.

Hello: What I did with my Kimber Eclipse with fixed sights was. Change the front sight to a EGW or Dawson and change the rear sight to a Novak adjustable. The pistol came with the EGW but I will be changing it to a Dawson fiber optic soon. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

New member here and just got hooked on to practical shooting. I currently have a Kimber TLE that comes with meprolight fixed night sights and I'm finding that I am having a hard time picking up my front sights on follow up shots. Would changing to a different sight help me on this or do I just have to learn it. Any recommendation is appreciated.

The KimberTLE is a nice gun and those Meprolight fixed night sights are good for a carry gun, but not ideal for competitive shooting.

Not everyone likes the same sights, but I think you'd find that many/most top shooters have some variation of a Bomar adjustable rear sight (plenty of good copies out there including Kimber's version) and a front sight with a fiber optic insert (see attached pic of Dawson Precision's fiber optic for Kimber front sight). The fiber optic insert can be one of several colors and really draws your eye to the front sight nicely so that many people pick them up faster.

KimberFS.htm

It wouldn't be too hard to hard to have someone switch the rear sight to a Bomar style and have the front sight changed, but then the gun wouldn't be as good for carry purposes. If you're going to keep carrying it, I'd say leave it the way it is. If not, take a look at some different sights and see what looks good to your eye.

Welcome to the sport.

The most common sights folks are using on 1911 guns are Bo-Mar target rear sights and a fiber optic front. You can usually get a set of sights for around $100 and have a gunsmith install them for another $50. If you a quick n' dirty recommendation, the Bo-Mar BMCS-K sight and a .090" Dawson fiber front.

There are some good threads on why people like certain setups vs. something else. It comes down to personal taste, eyesight, and budget.

Since you're new to competition you may just need more trigger time and some coaching to get your grip right. Getting your grip right will help you control recoil. Your stock sights are probably fine once you get some more trigger time and the recoil isn't bouncing your sights around.

Thanks for all the replies. I will probably not carry the Kimber and will only be dedicated for casual matches until I could justify myself buying a competition gun. I am having a hard time with the sight picture and not sure if it is the rear notch that is too narrow or the front sight is too wide.

I have an ameriglo combat sights on my Glock 17 that I use for production and probably got used to it that's why I'm having a hard time with the Kimber due to it's narrower rear notch. Is there an advantage of having a narrower/wider rear notch and vice-versa or this is just a personal preference?

I start with the front sight. I like a .100" wide front sight, a lot of people like .090" front sights too. Fiber optic sights are fast, they're easier for me to track when the sights lift.

I like a plain target (no dots, no fiber) rear notch .020"-.025" wider than my front sight. Some folks have rear notches .040" wider than their front, it's not my cup o' tea.

If you have a set of calipers measure your current sights so you can get some perspective.

I have observed that most shooters have the Bomar style rear sights, Besides being adjustables, are there any other advantage to it? Are there any adjustables that would fit on Kimber without butchering the frame?

I have observed that most shooters have the Bomar style rear sights, Besides being adjustables, are there any other advantage to it? Are there any adjustables that would fit on Kimber without butchering the frame?

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking about other brands of adjustable sights or do you think Bomars require you to modify your slide?

Bomar BMCS-K sights fit the Kimber factory cut.

Hello: If you have fixed sights on your Kimber then use either the Novak adjustable rear sight or the new Dawson. The Novak is what I have and like it as well as the Bo-Mar on my STI. The Dawson has sharper corners than the Novak. The Novak is an easy install and looks good. The Novak looks like a carry sight. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

What type of rear sight dovetail does the Kimber have? Is it a Novak? If so, then the STI Tactical Adjustable Sight (TAS) would fit the bill, no alteration to the slide required.

If not, there's nothing wrong with a Heinie fixed rear sight. You will never break that one.

$0.02

What type of rear sight dovetail does the Kimber have? Is it a Novak? If so, then the STI Tactical Adjustable Sight (TAS) would fit the bill, no alteration to the slide required.

If not, there's nothing wrong with a Heinie fixed rear sight. You will never break that one.

$0.02

Aircooledracer pretty much nailed it -- researched this same subject myself, a couple weeks ago. IF the Kimber has fixed sights, the Bomar BMCS-K will not fit, since the slide has to be milled. It is a drop-in replacement for those Kimbers, like the TargetII, etc., that already have adjustable sights, and the necessary relief behind the dovetail.

From what I understand, the rear dovetail cut is Kimber proprietary, and similar to, but not, a Novak, though I'm happy to be corrected. In any event, both Dawson and Novak make an adjustable sight that will replace the fixed rear sight on Kimbers. The next question would be -- would you then have to change the front sight? Dunno.

I just installed front and rear green/green meprolights on my G17.

I am very unimpressed with the light intensity.

After looking at other peoples pictures of Meps and Triicon etc on line I was expecting them to be much brighter. Pictures that were posted on line by other setups had these glowing in daylight.

Mine show absolutely nothing in daylight and in the darkness are barely illumintated.

Do you think that there is something wrong with mine? ... or is that all there is.

I just installed front and rear green/green meprolights on my G17.

I am very unimpressed with the light intensity.

After looking at other peoples pictures of Meps and Triicon etc on line I was expecting them to be much brighter. Pictures that were posted on line by other setups had these glowing in daylight.

Mine show absolutely nothing in daylight and in the darkness are barely illumintated.

Do you think that there is something wrong with mine? ... or is that all there is.

I've got Trijicons on my three carry Glocks (22, 23 and 27) and they are quite bright in the dark. They don't glow in the daylight, and you really only notice the white surrounding the capsule, but that's just the glue holding it in.

I've never been real impressed with the Meprolights, but would think they'd be brighter than you're describing in the dark....but they won't glow in daylight.

If you are going with the Dawson front sight ( great choice ) Call Dawson and they will help you out. I use teir Dawson adjustable to replace my Kimber rear and it worked out great, No modifications.

Good Luck !