Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortening A 1100 Cm Stock

texaschase

First, remove the recoil pad. I don't remember but I think they are phillps screws. If you look at the pad, there will be two small cuts in the pad. push a screw driver through and then unscrew the pad.

I cut mine on a power mitre saw. I suppose you could use a band saw.

Since the stock will be slightly smaller, the pad will need to be trimmed around the edges. Put it back on just like it came off. A flat file will work just fine to remove teh small amount that hangs over the edges. Put some protective tape like masking tape on the stock so it doen't get scratched. Go slow.

Remember that SVL makes the pad. As you cut the length down on the stock, the opening becomes smaller. You will have to cut down the portion of the pad that fits inside the stock. If you use a miter saw, use a block of 2x4 to set the stock off the miter fence, making sure the stock is straight for your cut. Use an 80 tooth or higher blade and feed slowly so you don't melt the plastic stock as it cuts. Use an exacto or other blade to trim off the internal excess. You will most likely have to cut back the pad screw attaching points on the inside of the stock, depending on how short you make it. When you remove insert material from the pad, make sure you do it from the bottom first, check for fit, etc,etc. A file, rasp or small belt sander is ideal for this procedure. BTW-old trick-when you take your recoil pad off using a phillips screwdriver, spray the screwdriver shaft with a very light oil, such as Rem oil, before you stick it in the recoil pad holes, that way you won't have any binding and the screwdriver will turn smoothly.

Edited by AH6IP

You can cut down an 1100 stock about 1/2" and not run into major issues. Past that and you will have to look at providing new mounting holes for the recoil pad.

I scribed my stock using a set of calipers. Then cut it down with a dremel saw on the scribe line. It worked perfectly and was easier than I thought it would be. Resize the pad with a belt sander as described above. I did not have to separate the stock from the receiver to do this.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to cut the furniture. Cutting the stock went flawlessly. Set up a fence on a band saw and went to town - clean up the edges w/ a buffing wheel on a dremel.

Now for the recoil pad... I cut the "inside" down so that it would fit into the stock. (By saying "inside", I mean the portion that fits into the stock. It had to be cut in order to fit into the stock. etc.) However, I cut it down to the point where there is no "plate" on the inner portion of the pad now. (you can see the inside of the recoil pad) I don't know if this going to be a real problem. I don't think it will be.

Next step is to cut down the screws and sand down the overhang of the pad and... voila!

If I'm unhappy with the recoil pad, anybody got any good ideas on a replacement?