Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Boy,Did I get some funny looks

actionshooter

Yestarday my brother in law called me up and wanted to know if I wanted to go try sporting clays. I was just getting ready to go practice with my shotgun/rifle for 3-gun and thought this might be a learning experience (little did I know).

I wanted to use my Winchester SX2 practical (still trying to get the bugs worked out). Got to the range,got a couple of funny looks. One guy pointed and smiled,I told him I needed all 9 shots.

I had never shot SC and it was at least 6 years ago since I shot trap. I do shoot my shotguns a lot for 3-gun. I thought it was going to be fairly easy to switch over (ya right).

Well my first round I just about crapped when a pair of "rabbits" came out. (B-I-L thought it would be fun if I went first). Needless to say that was a miss.

Anyway I hit about five clays the first round,that really hurt! This games is a little harder than I thought. Well by the 3 rd round I had 17 and was feeling a little bettter.

The guys I shot with were really helpful and they were trying to get me to come to thier weekly shoot. One expesive sport is enough.

I can see this could become addicting.

Steve

Oh-ya, my brother in law shot consistantly 22-24,I'm gonna haul his butt out to the pistol range and set up the fastest drop turners I can find and make him go first.

• 1 year later...
Guest Dick W Holliday

i would think that the Practical should be fine if you've got the approprite choke in it......you just need to keep going anf burn more powder.....Dick

It certainly would pick up the "pace" of a sporting clays round if everyone shot a 9 round shotgun!!!

I could think of some interesting combos with that!

17 is a good round after the warm up round. Shoot a little skeet before the next round and have your brother in law go first. The scores might be a lot closer than you think!

Have fun.

Guest Dick W Holliday

Funny looks........you should see'em when i take my mossy590 with bayonet, of course......when i say "Lost" no one argues....and when the gun racks full...no problem-just stick the bayo in the ground.......headgear WW2 steel pot of course.....Battle Dick

Forgot to mention--the bayonet helps with followthrough.....Dick

(Edited by Dick W Holliday at 9:12 pm on Jan. 17, 2003)

Dick

To each his own.  I have seen all types of "animal" targets, teal, rabbits, squirrels, etc, but never seen a target needing a bayonet, or a shotgun with a bayonet on the clays range.

Maybe some of those looks were deserved.

Guest Dick W Holliday

if i'd just had some green BDUs and a stump of a cigar the look would have been complete.......

but how about when i stop by the skeet range after the cowboy match.....the old 97 will still do the job although the boots don't feel as good as the rockports......Dick