Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Supporting Our Troops

I think daily about the sacrifice that our troops (and their families) make to insure our freedoms. I fly weekly so have often bought a soldier(s) a lunch/dinner, swapped a first class seat for his coach seat, or just said 'thank you'.

Just like everyone else here, I get tons of mail everyday asking for contributions to various organizations. Well, I just got something in the mail from 'AdoptaPlatoon' and I am curious if any of you have heard of them?? Specifically, I would like to know if I give them a dollar, how much actually makes it to the troops? IOW, is this a worthy organization, and/or is there another organization where more of my support would actually reach the troops and their families?

Happy New Year all. :)

I got lucky. One of our shooters was over there so I asked him what do they really need or appreciate? He told me and I collected as much as I could donated from shooters, and mailed him like 7 boxes of stuff, which he passed out and shared with his team.

I am in the Air Force and the best place to give in my opion is the USO. They are located at most air ports that we fly out of to our desert tours. It is nice to have a place to relax and even sleed when your are stuck in the air port

Howe about this --> www.heromiles.org

Operation Hero Miles was created by Congressman C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger in cooperation with close to a dozen United States Airlines in October, 2003. The program allows troops stationed in Iraq or Afghanistan to fly home on leave for free. It also gives family members of wounded servicemen and women free plane tickets to visit their loved ones recovering at military hospitals across the country. Operation Hero Miles gives ordinary citizens an opportunity to help our troops in a very direct way that makes a real difference in their lives.

The program is brilliant in its simplicity. Travelers donate their unused frequent flyer miles to the Pentagon , the following airlines are currently participating in Operation Hero Miles: AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Midwest Airlines, Northwest Airlines, United Air Lines, and US Airways.

A few of my friends got together and purchased a Sony Playstation 3 bundle. We decided to send it to some troops overseas. We had no particular service or group in mind. We all signed a card with our thanks, e-mails and addresses just to make sure it gets to where it is supposed to. I hope it can relieve some of the stress that they are experiencing.