Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rcbs Lockout Die

Peakbagr

Just picked up a Hornady Lock n Load, 5 station press. After years of loading on a 1 stage press, the Hornady has a 5th station that I intend to use for a safety check.

Yep, I've read all the comments on using a light, flashlight, and just good, due diligence. Still and all, I like the idea of a back up with everything else going on with a progressive press.

I've seen and read about the Powder Cop dies that 'flag' an overfilled or underfilled case, but I'm really interested in the RCBS Lockout die that stops the press when there is a powder variance.

What I've been looking for is a good description as to exactly how it works and how it stops a press. Haven't been able to find it online, and everytime I tried the RCBS 800 number today, its been busy.

The RCBS Lockout die is 2 pieces, an outer one that contacts the mouth of the case, and inner one that contacts the powder. The outer one can't move up into the die unless the inner one is in the correct position. It basically keeps the ram from moving if you have too little or too much powder.

I use it on my Hornady press and it works good.

I do have some tips for you though if you are loading 45 ACP on your press and using plated bullets - you can contact me via email and I can give you some pics, etc. without clogging up the forum.

5Shot

• 1 month later...
The RCBS Lockout die is 2 pieces, an outer one that contacts the mouth of the case, and inner one that contacts the powder. The outer one can't move up into the die unless the inner one is in the correct position. It basically keeps the ram from moving if you have too little or too much powder.

I use it on my Hornady press and it works good.

I do have some tips for you though if you are loading 45 ACP on your press and using plated bullets - you can contact me via email and I can give you some pics, etc. without clogging up the forum.

5Shot

I have an RCBS ammomaster and have a charge-checker die. Although it doesn't lock out the shell plate from continuing to index, it provides a pretty accurate visual. It is a plunger that you set a rubber o-ring to the correct height for the charge. Each ensuing round goes through this checker and shows you by meeting the o-ring, that each round is correctly charged. Simple, but it still relies on the operator to catch an issue.

I use statistical process control on my powder station to ensure it is operating within expected capability. This along with the checker do a nice job.