Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing A S&w Model 41 Manual Safety

R112mercer

I recently acquired a S&W Model 41. It's a great gun but the manual safety seems to be very easily activated by a high grip. I took the gun apart and found that the safety is held in place by a small plate and the safety itself is just a bar that slides down to lock the hammer/sear. I removed the safety and dry-fired the gun with a snap cap in place and got a firing pin mark on the snap cap.

Outside of being in violation of some game's rules, are there any potential problems with this arrangement? I know gunk may be able to get into the gap left by the safety, but I'm not dragging this gun through mud puddles any time soon. Does anybody have any similar experiences or a better solution? Thanks in advance.

I run one on Team Challenge with out a safety. and on my Steel Challenge gun I just have it cut back to a nub. I would have to look in side but if I remember right as all you have to do is catch the end of a spring and pull it out > after you take off the clip under the grip on the right side.

Send me a PM if I can be of more help

Jamie

Alan;

For what ever reason my rather normal sized hands seemed to be activating the safety, I had to deliberately hold lower on the gun to not hit it.

Jamie;

I already removed my safety. After pulling the grips off the "spring" as S&W calls it is just a plate that covers the detent nub on the safety itself to hold it in place and positively switch between "safe" and "off". My safety is now resting in my toolbox.

Thanks again, guys.

Alan;

For what ever reason my rather normal sized hands seemed to be activating the safety, I had to deliberately hold lower on the gun to not hit it.

Jamie;

I already removed my safety. After pulling the grips off the "spring" as S&W calls it is just a plate that covers the detent nub on the safety itself to hold it in place and positively switch between "safe" and "off". My safety is now resting in my toolbox.

Thanks again, guys.

Yep I was thinking of putting the Sear back in. Now just take a hack saw to that nice rear strap and cut it off flush with the breach face and it will eject and clear lots better.

knid of makes your eye tear up the first time you do it though. :unsure:

• 17 years later...