Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sp01 Shadow Q's (again)

boo radley

I have the opportunity to start shooting an SP01; this is the "Shadow" model sold by Angus and CZ-USA. I've searched and read the thread on the Global Village (and here) re: IPSC Production, but a couple issues are still unclear and I'd appreciate any help.

Legality: for *USPSA* Production, am I right in assuming this pistol is legal? What about IDPA? For ESP, I'm confused, because while light-rails are legal, full-length dust-covers aren't, which this pistol seems to have. But for SSP, if it makes weight ( < 39oz) it's legal? I haven't weiged it yet.

Shooting: This pistol is very accurate, but I notice it shoots about 3" low at 25y. Unless I somehow shim the rear sight, or replace the FO front sight, I don't see how to correct this. Anyone else with this gun have this issue? I can align the FO dot instead of the blade over the dot, but....

DA/SA pull. I'm not used this, having never had one of these pistols before. Do y'all shift position of the trigger finger after the first (DA) shot? I want less of my finger on the trigger in the SA mode (which really is sweet), but it's hard to pull the first shot smoothly...

Thx

Legality: for *USPSA* Production, am I right in assuming this pistol is legal?

The pistol isn't marked Shadow anywhere, just SP-01. I don't see how anyone could prove what you have is anything other than an SP-01 with new sights (legal), walnut grips (legal), and a trigger job (legal). 2 shooters at my local club have Shadows and I haven't heard anything about them being forbidden.

What about IDPA? For ESP, I'm confused, because while light-rails are legal, full-length dust-covers aren't, which this pistol seems to have. But for SSP, if it makes weight ( < 39oz) it's legal? I haven't weiged it yet.

As long as it makes weight, it's OK. The light rail is full length but the frame is aluminum. I believe the IDPA rules specifically state you can't have a full length dustcover of steel or heavier material.

Shooting: This pistol is very accurate, but I notice it shoots about 3" low at 25y. Unless I somehow shim the rear sight, or replace the FO front sight, I don't see how to correct this. Anyone else with this gun have this issue? I can align the FO dot instead of the blade over the dot, but....

Since it's shooting low for you at distance, you can remove material from the top of the front blade to fix the point of impact. I believe CZ sells different height front blades if you don't want to file your current sight. After filing hit is with some cold blue so it doesn't rust.

--- snip ---

As long as it makes weight, it's OK. The light rail is full length but the frame is aluminum. I believe the IDPA rules specifically state you can't have a full length dustcover of steel or heavier material.

--- snip ---

My SP-01 frame attracts magnets quite nicely. You may have confused the SP-01 with the P-01 which has an Al. frame.

Later,

Chuck

the rollmarked Shadow ( don't think there are any in the US ) is not legal..it is longer pending on the US list and not listed there..and it is not legal in IPSC..according to VP on IPSCGV.

however what angus sells is basically and upgraded SP01..new sights, trigger, hammer, action job and all the other cool stuff.

I thinkl Angus sell three different height sights..give him a call to verify..

As I understand the SP01 in IDPA..here is the confusing part.

The SP01 would be is not legal in ESP due to the FLHD..however if you can get it to make weight 39ounces with mag, in SSP then it would be legal in ESP..so you have to do some things to the gun to get it there...

there are a couple of threads here and on CZshooters on how to get there..

the rollmarked Shadow ( don't think there are any in the US ) is not legal..it is longer pending on the US list and not listed there..and it is not legal in IPSC..according to VP on IPSCGV.

however what angus sells is basically and upgraded SP01..new sights, trigger, hammer, action job and all the other cool stuff.

The SP01 would be is not legal in ESP due to the FLHD..however if you can get it to make weight 39ounces with mag, in SSP then it would be legal in ESP..so you have to do some things to the gun to get it there...

Thx, Stuart, and all --

Makes sense, kinda. Sounds like I'm good to go in USPSA Production, and, depending how many parts I want to mess with, could possibly make weight in IDPA SSP, though I doubt I'll bother.

I'll check w/Angus on the sight; filing isn't an option because it's a fiber-optic.

Steve

I dug up this old link. I think that site might be dead, but google has it cached.

http://www.sportshooter.com/gear/where2putdots.asp

That is a good little test to do. I do it with a piece of masking tape and try it test it every 5y. (How far back you go is up to you...40y targets at Nationals this past year.)

Here is the forumla used to tell how far off your sights are: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=9223

Stuart -- right now, the SP01 Shadow (but not marked as such) as 'from Angus' weighs 40.1 oz. on a postal scale. I'm not sure how accurate the scale is. This is with a 19-round magazine and rubber bumper pad. This gun also has the thin wood grips.

I searched this forum, but didn't see anything really on how to get another ounce or so, off. I don't shoot much IDPA, but wouldn't mind having consistency, if I use this SP01 for USPSA Production.

Also -- does anyone make a larger thumb safety? After getting used to a big paddle on a 1911, this feels strange, on the CZ, and the little nub is angled such that the thumb wants to slip off, regardless. Thx