Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Sight Combo For My 25-2?

Nemo

As previously indicated I've decided to keep my 25-2 in its original barrel length configuration. I'll shoot IDPA with an auto or get another revo later.

I'll be getting parts to get this wheelie up to speed for USPSA and ICORE. Hammer, trigger, spring kit (while it waits to visit Randy) and sights.

For the rear sight I want to use a Millet. I suppose it has to be the Pre-74 sight. For the front sight I want to use a SDM, maybe a gold bead to give it a blingage factor. Do any of you know which rear sight blade height works best with which front sight height on this gun (6.5" barrell)?

Thanks,

Nemo, Look for some posts by Dennis Smith, or DGSmith. He's done or had done quite a bit of work to his 25-2, and I recently pulled one out of the vault to start working on. As to front sight, I spoke with Scott Mulkerin of SDM. He will want to pull the barrel off to machine for his, either in pinned or Weigand version. Problem is he like others can't squeeze any work into his shop for present. I'd be interested in how you proceed.

Glenn here or via profile.

I found out that the combination that works on my 625 is a Millett .360 rear with a SDM .300 front. I don't see why this combination wouldn't work on the 25-2 but want to make sure before I buy anything. I hate returning stuff.

Calling DGSmith

My old 25-2 has a pinned sight. I sent it to S&W to have it machined for a pinned sight & they said it was pinned not forged. The front is the .250 tall and I just raised the factory rear 4 or 5 clicks to get it sighted in. :)

I had the barrel cut to 4 inches years ago to shoot at Second Chance. I probably wouldn't cut it today.

Bill Nesbitt

post-2236-1166707326.jpg

post-2236-1166707364.jpg

Bill, Hasn't the barrel on your 25-2 been shortened? After seeing yours & the comments, I went down to the gunroom. My 25-2 S/N N733959 has the original 6" .bbl (which is actually 5 7/8"). The .bbl, rib, sight ramp and patridge are a one piece machined forging or hunk of bar stock.

There is absolutely no evidence of silver soldering or pinning either the ramp or patridge, thus making it a pain to change the configuration.

Mike C, What is/was on Sam's?

Dennis Smith....yours?

And I think Luke Fay has a 25-2.

My 25-2 is a 6 inch version.

It has the factory milled sight (all part of the barrel) and I have a Millet .360 on it.

I needs a .312 as at 20 yds it shoots just a little too high (have to shoot 6 O'clock hold on the plate rack and I preferr a center hold).

The Millet has been discontinued for the older guns that take the longer, squared off front end of the sight. :angry: and Brownells is out and will not get any more.

Carmoney mentioned another source(Midway?) but I cannot remember it. :wacko:

Good luck finding one, The Millet was the best for the money in my opinion.

Hop/Sam

My 25-2 is a 6 inch version.

It has the factory milled sight (all part of the barrel) and I have a Millet .360 on it.

I needs a .312 as at 20 yds it shoots just a little too high (have to shoot 6 O'clock hold on the plate rack and I preferr a center hold).

The Millet has been discontinued for the older guns that take the longer, squared off front end of the sight. :angry: and Brownells is out and will not get any more.

Carmoney mentioned another source(Midway?) but I cannot remember it. :wacko:

Good luck finding one, The Millet was the best for the money in my opinion.

Hop/Sam

Sam,

Brownell 601-502-384 In Stock

Gary

Gary,

Thanks, I will check them out (again)

Back during the summer while trying to get my act together for USPSA Revolver Nationals I attempted to get a couple of the .312 plain black Millets and was told they were out and were not going to get anymore due to Millet not making anymore that size, and color.....We'll see. <_<

Man that means I may be spending MORE money with them......... :wacko:

SAM

Yes the barrel on my 25-2 was shortened by Cylinder & Slide in 1988. I bought the gun, serial # N7116XX, new in the very early 1980's. I found the paperwork for the barrel shortening and it says "remount old sight". As I remember it they cut off the old sight, ramp and all, and silver soldered it on the shortened barrel. I can see the serrations from the top of the barrel underneath the ramp.

Move ahead to 2005 when I broke the hammer pin. :unsure: I sent the gun to S&W to have that repaired and I asked them to cut a slot for a pinned front sight and mount a SDM. Vito "?" called me and said it already had a pinned front sight. I guess the pin is very hard to see on some guns. I always thought it was a forged sight. :huh:

Interesting about what it cost me. Getting the barrel shortened cost $75. UPS was $9.

Anybody here willing to admit what they paid to have their LPA rear sight put on?? It occurs to me I don't actually know the retail installed price of this option.

Mike,

I sent my 610 off to Randy @ Apex and while it was there, I had him put the LPA rear on it.

He charged me $ 75 for the sight + $ 15 labor to install. I'm not sure what is involved.