Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rounds Sticking On The Side Of The Throat

JD40

I have a nowlin barrel in my six inch limited blaster and my question is this- have any of you ever had a problem with lead bullets hitting the side of the throat and not allowing the round to chamber. The barrel is in spec but is on the tight side in all deminsions. The problem seems to be in the lead bullets I use for practice and some matches. The bullets seem to be sized to big (.402)- (most of the lead I buy is real close to this) My question is this, how do I make the throat bigger- (a little on the sloppy side )so I can use lead bullets. I have two other 40 blasters with schuemann barrels and I dont have this problem. Any info would help would be great.

My question is this, how do I make the throat bigger- (a little on the sloppy side )so I can use lead bullets.

Do you have a set of drill bits? Use the shank (smooth end) wrapped in wet/dry sandpaper. I use #240, #400, #600 then a patch dipped in chrome polish. I do it by hand and it does take a long time, but the upside is you woun't take too much or "egg shape" the tube if you go slow. Use a micrometer or inside calipers to watch the size.

Select the drill size for the best fit when the sand paper is wrapped around the shank. Cut a strip of paper mybe 3/4" wide, wrap it around the drill shank and then secure it on the outer edge with masking tape.

Use oil while you sand in and out. progressively polish to fine finish.

Before you ruin the barrel, send it to a smith that has a reamer w/ a .402 lead on it. Clean it up & you are ready to go for about $25.00

Thanks for all of the info and keep it comming, it seems to me that if the bullets are 402 then I would need to make the throat .403-.404 to give the bullet plenty of clearance. Would this statement be correct? Thanks for your help.