Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pesky Internal Locking System

want2race

So I pull my "new for me" G35 out and notice why the mag well was not removed as per the sale arrangement. It was glued on because there was an ILS lurking beneath it. I don't know the brand of magwell, but I don't like it so I pulled it off. The glue broke free without too much force.

I really liked my ICE magwell from my 34 and planned to put it on my 35. The ILS had to come out before the brass insert could be installed.

There are two small pins visable from the magazine well that appear to lock the ILS in place. They are set in blind holes. After firing up the drill press and running some holes through the locking mech (from the bottom, drilling upwards towards the slide rails) and the plastic around it the ILS wasn't budging. I was able to convince the little pins to come out but the mech still wasn't moving.

Basically, I drilled completely through it several times before it would let go. Once I drilled completely through the brass locking mechanism, progress was made. The piece that blocks the trigger bar (when locked) spins freely once the locking mech is removed. The epoxy is setting up right now that will fix it in the "unlocked" position.

I'll see how it goes together tomorrow.

I guess it's an option from Glock now. The removal was pretty clean, there is a slot in the backstrap where the indicator used to be. I could fill it with black epoxy but I don't really care since I bought this gun to beat the crap out of anyway. The grip will see files and the dremel before I'm done.

Just an FYI before your next used Glock purchase, watch for keys.

The ILS equipped guns are another SKU numbered item offered from Glock just like the adjustable sight or night sight guns. The ILS unit fills the void in the backstrap of the grip.

I have not had a good track record of the locks functioning correctly in those guns.

Edited by Middle Man

can you use the ILS in all glocks or just specific models?

No the locks fill the empty space in the grip and are "permanently" installed.

Here's what's offered and the corresponding SKU number:

GLOCK 17 9mm 4.5" B FS ILS 17512-03

GLOCK 19 9mm 4" B FS ILS 19512-03

GLOCK 22 40s&w 4.5" B FS ILS 22512-03

GLOCK 23 40s&w 4" B FS ILS 23512-03

GLOCK 26 9mm 3.5" B FS ILS 26512

GLOCK 27 40s&w 3.5" B FS ILS 27512

GLOCK 34 9mm 5.32" B AS Tactical ILS 34311-03

GLOCK 35 40s&w 5.32" B AS Tactical ILS 35311-03

Edited by Middle Man

It was, at one time, an MD State requirement until the last Governor relaxed the interpretation and allowed a barrel lock instead of an ILS (kinda funny - Glock ILS was allowed but all CAS/SASS revolvers were banned). That governor lost in November. The ILS may yet again rear its ugly/unecessary head.

The serial starts with a G. I did some more work to it today. Got the magwell installed and had the same issues as when I put it on my old 34. The mags didn't fall free. I'm not shy about using a Dremel or files. Fixed the problem.

Did the trigger as well. I really prefer the 5lbs connector over the 3.5, so for now I installed the stock connector from my 23c. Pretravel and post-travel corrected and it feels great. This one came with a Vanek kit in the spares box so I didn't need to do as much polishing as normal. Still need to peen the slide to tighten it up a bit.

One huge thing about shooting Ltd over Prod is that I can modify the frame. Something I've wanted to do since I started shooting Glocks. The right side of the trigger guard does not agree with the 1st knuckle on my middle finger on stock Glock frames. It fits like a Glove now. I'll wrap some Tru-Grip on it and call it done. For now.

post-8536-1166673555.jpg

post-8536-1166673572.jpg