Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ironequalizer

IronEqualizer

2-12-12

Dry fired 30 mins.

Session B. Reloads continue to go pretty well. I still have a goal of missing none during a session but I am not unhappy with how things are going. I missed maybe 5 out of around 125 today. I counted around 40 in a row before I bobbled one pretty bad. Staying focused the entire time has an affect on my performance as my mind starts to wonder during the repetitions and I lose focus. Table loads continue to go pretty well and just like a normal load a key focus area is on the grab of the magazine. On table loads I have to look and see the mag for the grab, then look into the magwell for my focus point. Writing this I now realize that I am looking at the mag for the grab but not a particular focus point. I will do some experimenting on focusing on the nose of the bullet or something to up my consistency.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2-13-12

Dry fired 30 mins.

Live fired 300 rnds.

Dry fired session A.

Live fired session A. I should have just saved the ammo today. My accuracy was terrible. I have tried to analyze what I was doing wrong but really can't figure anything out. I was not calling shots worth a damn today so I assume I was not focused enough visually. My mechanics were fine I just missed shots everywhere. It was just a bad day.

Edited to add: After totaling up the points on the drills I actually did not do as bad as I thought. I was way off on accuracy on 1 drill but the others were not that bad and one was even an improvement. I should not have let myself get flustered. Those F'n X drills are just a pain in the ass and it is like a nightmare IDPA stage. There is just too much engagement order to remember switching from body to head to head to body back and forth....I just forget where on which target I should be engaging half way through.

Edited by IronEqualizer

2-14-12

Dry fired 30 mins.

Live fired 250 rnds.

Dry fired session B. Reloads went great this morning. I hit 45 in a row from the start. I ended up missing 4 reloads total out of the 130 in the session. Very pleased with this.

Lived fired session B. Movement drills went pretty well today. I still have to work on being a little smoother entering, but I can definitely say I am moving faster than I did several months ago. Accuracy was good today as well.

2-15-12

Dry fired 30 mins.

Dry fired session A.

I am still looking to increase my consistency of perfect draws. I have to think, slow my support hand down, to really get it slammed under the trigger guard where I want it every single time. Table draws are much better than when I started.

2-16-12

Dry fired 30 mins.

Session B. Not an amazing day of reload practice but not bad either. I am still pleased that I am able to hit 30+ in a row with regularity now. I can still use some tweaking on getting the grip back after the reload. I also dropped a mag on quite a few reloads today instead of starting with the magwell empty. I noticed when swinging hard to the left during a load that I would actually keep the mag to be ejected in the gun by swinging toward the dropping mag on occasion. (the magwell is angled left for the reload, and I am swinging left, toward the dropping mag) Swinging to the right I swing away from the dropping mag and this was not a problem.

2-18-12

Dry fired 30 mins.

Live fired 150 rnds.

Dry fired session A. Still searching for perfect draws on a consistent basis.

Live fired session C. Practiced the SH/WH drill and the long range challenge before the rain stopped me. Still hovering around 72% accuracy on the long range challenge at 40yds. Had 2 mikes, and too many D hits. Guess I need to slow down a bit more, or just refine my trigger manipulation better.

2-19-12

Live fired 200 rnds (EAGC USPSA match)

Stage 1. Trigger freeze on 1 target. Other than that I was happy with it.

Stage 2. Broke a shot sweeping past a no shoot and got the penalty. Made the shot up. Other than that I was happy with it.

Stage 3. I was happy with my shooting but my stage plan sucked. I should have broken it down differently.

Stage 4. Close up hoser stage. Had trigger freeze on 2 targets. Other than that I was happy with it.

Stage 5. Had a mike on 1 target. Stage plan could have been better but it wasn’t a bad one. The rest of the stage went well. I could see from the video that I never stopped the gun on the target I missed. The first shot broke and I was swinging toward the next target way too fast for the second shot to cut paper.

Stage 6. Classifier. Tanked another. I tried to tell myself to shoot it deliberately and to take my time. I hit 2 no shoots and had 2 mikes that did not touch paper. The bad part is is that I did not call any of the bad shots. I can call my shots at speed. What was my focus on? Thinking back now it may have been poor trigger control. I saw good sight pictures. I know it. I just hammered them out like they were 7yd targets.

2-20-12

Live fired 250 rnds.

Live fired session A.

I struggled for a moment when I first started then got back on a good sight focus and shot calling. 2 weeks ago I was shooting better than I had ever shot in my life. I was just shooting, not trying to do anything special. In practice and matches I was just shooting what the sights told me and just learning/observing my shooting, not trying.

Reviewing the match videos, my movement looked slow on short movements. I did not have that urgency to get to the next position that I have been working on. I also did not plan all of my positions like I should have. I missed my spot on stage 5 and it cost me a few seconds.

2-21-12

Dry fired 1 hr.

Dry fired session A and session B.

Session A I finally saw some consistency with perfect, solid grip draws. Sights pictures were perfect and it seemed I saw and reacted to them much faster today making the first shot quicker. Stepping draws still need some work. Wrists above shoulders were great today. Fast, solid, grip and perfect sight pictures. I wish I was shooting a steel match with the draws I had today. Table draws are still going well but I have still not settled on where to focus on the gun for the pickup.

Session B went very well today also. I hit the first 60 loads in a row before choking. I hit another 40 or so and missed another, then missed one of the 30 on the table loads. So missing 3 out of 130 was not bad. I think it is all about where you focus your eyes and attention.

I was and am very happy with how dry fire went today.

2-24-12

Dry fired 30 mins.

Live fired 200 rnds.

Dry fired session C. Most of the skills in this session still need much improvement. Going weak hand it is still taking me too long to get a sight picture. I also need to really practice the pick up and load more. I am still working on where to focus my attention. My pick ups seem to be ok but I rarely see inside the magwell on the load. I am doing most of these on feel. While it works most of the time I need to see the load into the magwell for 100% consistency.

Live fired the end of session A and the first of session B before the rain came. I shot the multi hardcover target drill with 96% accuracy as well as the short movement into position with 96% accuracy. Although my accuracy increased my HF went down ever so slightly. HF 7.805 on the hardcover drill and 5.670 on the movement drill. I am happy with both and will be ready to start increasing the distances soon.

Edited to add: Results of EAGC USPSA match. 2nd Limited, 4th overall. I finished 2nd on two stages and 3rd on 2 stages. If I clean up a few more of the little things and keep working on stage breakdown I will see some more improvement.

Edited by IronEqualizer

2-27-12

Live fired 200 rnds.

Session B. I also did some general hosing drills trying out a FGW full length dust cover gun. The gun was awesome. I was able to shoot this gun faster than I have ever shot any other gun. The front sight never seemed to leave my vision through recoil. I am looking forward to running it again.

2-28-12

Live fired 250 rnds.

Session A. Ran the new FGW limited gun again. Full length dust cover, aluminum grips. The gun shot great again. Felt recoil and the way the gun tracks is great. I had recorded some split times in my logbook a week ago on a hoser target in one my drills. I was shooting .15 to .16 splits on it. I am consistently getting .12 to .13 with this gun. A hoser split is no big deal but the way it tracks I am now able to get splits on 10yd targets that I was normally shooting at 7yds and in. My speed and accuracy has pretty much leveled off over the past few weeks as I have shown no real improvement on either. I should now just focus my attention on maintaining the learned skills and being more consistent. Phase III begins in 12 days.

3-2-12

Live fired 250 rnds

Session A. Times and hit factors are still pretty much stagnant. I thought I smoked some of the drills today only to find out it is about the same time I have already been running. I still want to increase accuracy without giving up any time.

3-3-12

Live fired 200 rnds.

Steel City USPSA match.

Not a great day. I just could not get my head in the game all day. This caused missed shots, hitting no shoots, and missed a position and had to go back.

3-4-12

Live fired 200 rnds.

CAGC USPSA match.

I had a much better match day. My shooting felt fast and precise. I had a hiccup on the last stage by trying to go too fast and clipped a no shoot and through a mike. I ended up finishing 2nd overall behind a master in open. 8% off his pace. I was happy with that.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

3-5-12

Live fired 150 rounds.

Session A.

I was pleased with my accuracy today. Head shots are getting easier. At the CAGC match I chose to shoot a few head shots to save a position on one stage and thought nothing of it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

3-8-12

Dry fired 30 mins.

Session A.

Live fired 100 rnds.

Session B.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

3-9-12

Live fired 150 rnds.

Session B. Finished session B and did a few more movement drills.

3-10-12

Live fired 100 rnds.

EAGC IDPA Match.

Shot too fast a lot of the day. I was outside my control zone and missed shots that I should have had more patience on. I don't know what has me so speed focused the last few weeks and not waiting on the sights.

3-11-12

Live fired 200 rnds.

AIM USPSA Match.

Still shooting outside my control zone at times and just not having patience with the sights. I was only happy with 2 of the 5 stages today. The 2 I did well on I feel like I could not have possibly done any better. I feel like I shot them at the best of my ability. I just totally tanked one, and the others just had too many make up shots and trying to go too fast.

Great training journal Alan. There's lots of good stuff in here for me to learn from. Thanks for the reloading and shooting advice at the range last Friday. I have been working on trigger control and reload drills for 30 minutes as soon as I wake up ever since you suggested it. Depending on how my tax returns go, maybe I can even jump into a Dillon press!

-Brian Lynch

p.s. This website is awesome.

Hey. Glad some of my rambling range log stuff is helping someone. There is a ton of information to be found on this site and months worth of stuff to read and soak up. I found I actually learn things by writing them down as it forces me to analyze my shooting. Call me anytime you want to talk guns.

2-16-12

Live fired 300 rnds.

2012 Alabama Sectional Match. I feel like I had a pretty strong match today. I had a few bobbles and picked up 1 no shoot but no mikes all day. I played a few stages a little conservatively and let em fly when I could. Freedom Gunworks limited gun continues to run flawlessly. This thing begs to be shot faster and faster.

Congratulations on the Match both on and off the stages !!!!!

You should be proud of yourself and all those who helped put on the match. I am proud to have been a part of it.

1st A and 9th over all !!!!!!! :bow::bow::bow::bow: I hope one day I can do stuff like that too. :)

Hopalong