Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Bone

Kevin,

Sorry, I was in a hurry on my easlier post and typo'ed. The bullet will stay in the mag "as is" but to make them feed you have to modify the lips to make them from feeding 2 rounds at once, one goes in the chamber, the other on the ground. It isn't really hard to do the mod, I converted 6 .45 mags to .40 in about 45 minutes. The 1st one took 15 minutes, it was piece of cake for the other 5.

I shoot what you would call a heavy .40 set up, full profile (with cuts), bull barrel and so on, but my single stack .45 is about as light as you can go with out cutting on the slide and frame. The biggest difference in recoil seems to come with choice of bullet. If you can stand the smoke, the .5 grain  less you use of powder for lead bullets make the .45 shoot about as soft as the .40.  In the rush to use jacketed bullets you really pick up some additional recoil. I like to shorten the stroke with a really wide shock buff and use a 14 lb spring and my inexpensive SA shoots as well as I can.  Also adding a set of wide "burner" grips helps me control the recoil. I do admit to looking long and hard at a SS .40, but sooo many other toys.