Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking Positive

IronEqualizer

We have been discussing positive thought in a few other threads but I have not really thought about how powerful our thought process was until this morning. So I am on the way to a match this morning, about an hour drive and on the interstate I start thinking about LAMR and what thoughts to have going on in my brain on the command. Well I could see myself standing in the box so clear and I got the butterflies feeling and a adrenalin rush just thinking about. It's not the first time I have been able to have that feeling just thinking about something. So if the brain is able to trigger subconscious reactions that you can't control just from the power of thought then all of this positive thinking stuff is really starting to make a lot of sense. Visualization, positive thinking......hmmmm

People call it all sorts of things, positive thought, creative visualzation,etc. What it is is self hypnosis. We all do it every day to ourselves. 2005 at the production nationals I had a terrible 1st day and I started to focus on "not missing, and being carefull" I tanked that match. When I returned home I went to a course to become certified in hypnosis. I than started working twice a day for 2 minutes each time on my thought process. What I said over and over to my self in a comfortable relaxed state was " every day I shoot with focus on the front sight and trigger control. I shoot all A s, I feel accurate, relaxed, confident and smooth". Well the next matches I shot were great. No mikes and finishes at or above my level. The 2006 season has been great. All the books I read by the top guys talk about it. Saul Kirsh, Brian Enos, etc. they all call it something else but it is hypnosis. Whether you do self hypnosis or work with someone you do it to yourself. Try it and you can improve whatever you want to work on shooting, self esteem, energy. try it you will like it.

People call it all sorts of things, positive thought, creative visualzation,etc. What it is is self hypnosis. We all do it every day to ourselves. 2005 at the production nationals I had a terrible 1st day and I started to focus on "not missing, and being carefull" I tanked that match. When I returned home I went to a course to become certified in hypnosis. I than started working twice a day for 2 minutes each time on my thought process. What I said over and over to my self in a comfortable relaxed state was " every day I shoot with focus on the front sight and trigger control. I shoot all A s, I feel accurate, relaxed, confident and smooth". Well the next matches I shot were great. No mikes and finishes at or above my level. The 2006 season has been great. All the books I read by the top guys talk about it. Saul Kirsh, Brian Enos, etc. they all call it something else but it is hypnosis. Whether you do self hypnosis or work with someone you do it to yourself. Try it and you can improve whatever you want to work on shooting, self esteem, energy. try it you will like it.

Thanks Chris I think that will help a lot of people.....I know I am going to work it into my practice routine.

Edited by IronEqualizer

• 2 weeks later...
Personal reality begins in your mind, and never leaves. The longer I've lived and wrestled with delusions - both on and off the range - the more I've realized the depth of that.

be

Thanks Brian that was a deep statement. I was kind of surprised that no other responses have come from this thread. :(

I must have been asleep at the wheel...

My positive thought is different every time I train or go to a match. This past weekend, I was all fired up to get upclasses at a 4 clasifier match. Having practiced El Prez in particular (and hitting 91-95% nationally on demand) I was extremely disappointed in my 9% hf.

I sat down, and thought about what happened. Whereas in football or wrestling, the added jolt of adrenaline assisted in my preformance, in shooting, it can hinder it. By identifying this, I was able to understand better how to tune my positive thinking and training.

2 hours later I reshot the classifiers, and turned in 75% on four of the five stages. I didn't shoot them like a madman, rather I reflected on how fortunate I was to have the morning off and experienced the shooting :D

I must have been asleep at the wheel...

My positive thought is different every time I train or go to a match. This past weekend, I was all fired up to get upclasses at a 4 clasifier match. Having practiced El Prez in particular (and hitting 91-95% nationally on demand) I was extremely disappointed in my 9% hf.

I sat down, and thought about what happened. Whereas in football or wrestling, the added jolt of adrenaline assisted in my preformance, in shooting, it can hinder it. By identifying this, I was able to understand better how to tune my positive thinking and training.

2 hours later I reshot the classifiers, and turned in 75% on four of the five stages. I didn't shoot them like a madman, rather I reflected on how fortunate I was to have the morning off and experienced the shooting :D

PB the important thing is you learned something. That is the difference between C and Master. You learn every time. No sleep brother. ;)