3 Gun Beginner Help!

JasonR

Just to slip an aside in here.....

Could I shoot 3-gun with the following?

1911 or XD40

M1 Garand or SKS

Rem 870 18" or 11-87 26"

It seems I'd be fine in heavy metal???

Absolutely and you would have a great time too as long as you didn't worry yourself about the extra reloads and stuff. I think it's cool when folks push Garands through 3gun matches and will sometimes take the time to stop and watch folks shooting that beastie just cause' :)

BTW, if you have a hankerin' to push that Garand through some rifle only stages, take a look at entering the 2007 Bay Area Rifle Championship. We are recognizing the Garand with it's own category if we get 3, or more folks shootin' em'

Just to slip an aside in here.....

Could I shoot 3-gun with the following?

1911 or XD40

M1 Garand or SKS

Rem 870 18" or 11-87 26"

It seems I'd be fine in heavy metal???

Absolutely and you would have a great time too as long as you didn't worry yourself about the extra reloads and stuff. I think it's cool when folks push Garands through 3gun matches and will sometimes take the time to stop and watch folks shooting that beastie just cause' :)

BTW, if you have a hankerin' to push that Garand through some rifle only stages, take a look at entering the 2007 Bay Area Rifle Championship. We are recognizing the Garand with it's own category if we get 3, or more folks shootin' em'

Take a gun over the hill to Ca.?

Bay Area, no less?

Is that still allowed there? :)

I may have to show up for this one. Sounds like fun!

Edited by BBunin

I too am a firm believer in "run what you brung." When we first started 3-gun at our club, I shot a Springfield Hi-Cap .45, a stock Remington 1100 and an 03 Spreingfield. People laughed, but I never finished butt-naked last using that gear, and I had a lot of fun. Since then I have upgraded the rifle to a Mec-tec CCU with the Springfiled frame on it, I have added an extended mag tube to the shotgun and gone to the S&W 25-2 for pistol. People still rib me, but they all run and go bang everytime, something that the guys with the AR's, high-end Bennellis and fancy sv's and sti's can't always say. That is also how I got my forum name, but that's another story. just shoot what you got and have fun. You can always add or change things later if you decide you want to spend the coin.

Good Luck!

I'd also agree with the "run what you've brung" school. I would echo most of the setiments here with a few additions:

1) Unless you are going to be shooting USPSA 3 gun, get a 9mm pistol. I would recommend a Tactical XD or CZ SP01. But if you like the HK, go for it.

2) Shotgun? Shoot your Benelli but have some heavy shot available since you're shooting a cylinder bore and have no choke. Sometimes steel can be hard to knock down.

3) Rifle? A full sized AR flattop from Sabre, DSA, DPMS, CavArms, POF-USA or another sponsor who supports the sport. You can add comps, triggers, handguard later on.

4) I HIGHLY suggest that you start out in Tactical division which allows a scope on the rifle. There is a ton of debate as to which scope in the 3 Gun forums. I'd suggest starting out with an inexpensive Leupold 1-4X or the Simmons 1.5-5X turkey scope. If you want to spend more you certainly can. Don't try to start out with iron sights on the rifle.

5) Once you get that rifle, ZERO IT. Shoot groups at 100, 200, and 300 on paper targets. Know how to build an accurate shot. Know where to hold.

6) Give Matt Burkett or Bennie Cooley some $$ for their rifle shooting DVDs. heck, give them both $$.

I'd also agree with the "run what you've brung" school. I would echo most of the setiments here with a few additions:

1) Unless you are going to be shooting USPSA 3 gun, get a 9mm pistol. I would recommend a Tactical XD or CZ SP01. But if you like the HK, go for it.

2) Shotgun? Shoot your Benelli but have some heavy shot available since you're shooting a cylinder bore and have no choke. Sometimes steel can be hard to knock down.

3) Rifle? A full sized AR flattop from Sabre, DSA, DPMS, CavArms, POF-USA or another sponsor who supports the sport. You can add comps, triggers, handguard later on.

4) I HIGHLY suggest that you start out in Tactical division which allows a scope on the rifle. There is a ton of debate as to which scope in the 3 Gun forums. I'd suggest starting out with an inexpensive Leupold 1-4X or the Simmons 1.5-5X turkey scope. If you want to spend more you certainly can. Don't try to start out with iron sights on the rifle.

5) Once you get that rifle, ZERO IT. Shoot groups at 100, 200, and 300 on paper targets. Know how to build an accurate shot. Know where to hold.

6) Give Matt Burkett or Bennie Cooley some $$ for their rifle shooting DVDs. heck, give them both $$.

Cool, thanks. My Benelli does have a choke, though. So should I use a 9mm or .40 pistol? And is a Colt LE6920 ok to start out with?

Edited by JasonR

If you have interchangeable chokes, improved and modified are the most commmonly relied on.

Your choice of 9mm v. .40 is really determined by which 3 gun matches you'll be shooting. If it's USPSA, with major and minor power factor, you'll want to shoot a .40 since it can make major. If you'll be shooting the "outlaw" 3 gun matches, most of which don't have power factor requirements, I'd get a 9 for increased mag capacity, lower cost, and lower recoil.

A Colt LE6920 can certainly get you started but, to be truthful, it is not a very competitive variation of the AR. A full sized AR will serve you much better. If you get into 3 gunning, you'll definitely move beyond the LE6920 but if that's what you got, get a scope on there, zero it, and go shoot!

Well I don't plan to go into this full time...I just don't have the time. I didn't know there were proper practices and drills for mag changes etc. I thought it was more of a hobby sport, but i would like to compete a bit.

What's the benefit of a mid length AR?

Advantages of full sized AR: Much smoother recoil pulse, greater reliability, higher velocity, greater sight radius (for irons sights) and longer handguard.

Advantages of 16 in barrels and under: handier when moving around props and barricades.