Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KKM barrel and comp

jvinez

Ive been shooting IPSC for 1 year now and Im just starting to get into loading my own rounds.  I just put a KKM barrel and 4 port comp on my G22 .40 and I have no idea on how to start finding a load that will make major and make the comp work to its potential.  I need suggestions on bullet weights and powder.  Now is the perfect time for me to work on this since im out of work for 2 months due to breaking 2 bones in legg this past friday.  so any assistance would be a great help.  thanks in advance.

PS

ive been pretty much just a reader of this forum for a while and everyone here has helped me out in one way or another with their good advise.  thanks again

Jason

Jason - a couple of quick ideas for open gun comp reloading.  Most guys use the lighest bullets in a given caliber because you need more speed to reach the same power factor.  Speed is reached with pressure and pressure makes the comps work best.  Its a delicate pressure game with the .40 caliber in a Glock and I don't know the specifics with your barrel comp combination.  But as a general rule try light bullets going fast.   For powders I'd start with whatver the loading manuals show as the powder that makes the light bullets go fastest in the .40 cartridge.  Then start loading lower than max and work up to the speed you need.   When comparing different powders I tend to find that the one which makes the right speed with the least amount of powder usually "feels" the best.  Good luck.

Jason,

Sorry to hear about the leg.

Like BamBam said, the idea is to get plenty of gas to work the holes in the comp.  This means a light bullet and slow powder.

Bullets:  Zero, Berry's, Montana Gold, West Coast...these are the ones that are often deals for the competition reloader (Buy in bulk).  The Zero brand is usually a jacketed bullet, where the others are plated.

Powder:  Vectan SP-2, VV 3n37

I'd use Magnum Small Pistol primers.

There are a few on this board that are shooting Open with the 40  (out of a 1911).  There may already be some post.

• 4 weeks later...