Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI California Edge .40

shooterx10

Can the California STI Edge in .40 S&W be made into an open gun?  If so, who's a good gunsmith (and give contact info) who can do it?  I've seen pics of open guns that have long dust covers, but I'm wondering if it's possible with this particular model?  Also, for those of you who own one, have you shot it?  What do you think of it?

You can do anything with it, I even think STI will do the change if you want.  Don't worry about the long dust cover on an open gun it would only help in recoil reduction and will not effect the function of the gun.  If you don't like the look cut it down.  I have a shooting buddy who bough 6 or 7 STI 7" dustcover frames prior to the approval list.  When bulding a gun he just has the dustcovers cut down for whatever he is building.

One of the local Open Masters uses a long dust cover Open gun to good effect.

I'd talk to STI about swapping the CA Edge top end for different parts. I think they've got some deal where they'll fit anything you want. Spending $1700+ just for a frame is a little much.

If you aren't set on STI and you want a shorty, SV has a short dust cover gun in CA.

One thing to keep in mind - if you want to swap top ends - do it BEFORE the gun leaves the factory.  SVI will not touch a gun that has been worked on by anyone but them, and STI has a similar policy.  You've really got to do some sweet-talking to get either company to work on a gun after it hits the street.

E

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to settle for a 357Sig then you won't have to change the slide.  Of course you will have to settle for 26 rounds in a mag instead of 29, but what are those 3 extra rounds worth to you?  Send it to LIMCAT, I've seen him do a full profile comp that will compliment the long dust cover.  josh