Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

We are looking around the Ames area. Of course one of the priorities is the gun laws, it seems like IA is pro gun (unless I am mistaken). I am also curious about ranges and shops in the area. If any one can give me pros and cons to living in IA it would be helpful, wether it be generally related or gun/sport specific.

Thanks,

Phil

Edited by betterment

Well, as far as gun friendly, it is compared to Illinois or other close states... :lol:

Ok, For Non professional Carry permits, It is not a SHALL ISSUE state, it is a may issue by the Sheriff, who is elected every 4 years.

You apply at the sheriff's office to get a purchase permit. Once a year and fees vary, usually 15-20 bucks and since they do a background check on you every year for reissue, that takes care of the NICS check.

No Class III unless you are a dealer and have the Dealer license or LEO...which can be a pain in the arse.... ;)

Populations centers are Davenport, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Des Moines, Ames, Sioux City, Council Bluffs, which of course normally go Dem due to Unions and College staff..... :angry:

We just elected the Dems into control at the state and governor as well. The good thing is that he is less competent as the outgoing Gov. who thinks he can run for President.... so we will be grid locked and no new stupid legislation should be presented or passed as far as AWB. Our grassroots second amendment is pretty strong and has a good lobbying presence in Des Moines, but we always have to be vigilant.

As far as shooting, from Ames there is USPSA shooting within an hour's drive, or less in Osceola and Waterloo. We have some kick ass matches at Osceola and down in SE Iowa at the Lowell range, including the BIG DAWG steel match.

Ames proper is a liberal college town with Iowa State University, so you get what you get. There is the Ames Ikes club and there may be others. I will let others who live close fill in those blanks. My advice is to find some rural property within commuting distance and do what you want to. I-35 runs right down to DSM and I-80, so you can get where you need to.

I worked all night, so I probably forgot something.... ;)

All in all, I would rather live in PA for shooting, but Iowa aint so bad.........Let us know what else you need!

Doug Carden