Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Universal Clays?

kmca

Universal Clays, while a good overall powder, is probably not as slow a powder as you'd need to work the comp on a 38 super gun. Now if you are shooting it in single stack as minor, Universal clays would be about as good as any other medium burn rate powder. You'd be better off using HS6, Longshot (Loudshot some say), the various Vitt Powders, Power Pistol, SR 7625 or SR 4756, and other better powders suited for that task. Actually, I have a fair amount of Universal Clays and I hadn't even thought to try it. It will probably max out on pressure before making major. I just checked the Hodgdon web site and their maximum load only goes to 1225 fps with a 115. You'll need 1434 fps to reach major with a 115 and you probably aren't going to get that with Universal without blowing cases.

Vince

I've been playing with heavy bullet (135's) and Longshot. It was a deal too good to pass up and I'm happy with it so far. Since I'm shooting heavier bullets, I'm not experiencing the loudness as some would with a 115 or even a 125. 7.5 to 7.7 makes major with some room to spare in my open gun.

Vince

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll pass on the Universal. I might try the 4756 (found a decent price for some). I'll even try some heavier bullets. I'm using 125's right now.

Would you guys think 4756 is a good powder for Steel Challenge shooting also?

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll pass on the Universal. I might try the 4756 (found a decent price for some). I'll even try some heavier bullets. I'm using 125's right now.

Would you guys think 4756 is a good powder for Steel Challenge shooting also?

I used 6.6gr 4756 and a 115 (125's for local steel matches.. little difference) several times at the Steel Challenge. It works well, though a tad dirty, like pretty much all the steel loads I've tried in Super. U-Clays also worked ok for steel loads, but was noticeably dirtier than N320. I wouldn't try it for Major loads.

Steel challengs is kind of a different animal. There is no real power factor other than making the gun run and Universal would probably be ok with it. The thing is, you need to spring the gun lighter to fire the sub major or possible even sub minor ammo. All you need do is ring the target consistently, you don't need heavy bullets, heavy ammo or anything like you do for IPSC. You need the gun to run 100% and you need to be able to hit steel at varying distances. I had someone give me a bunch of 38 super ammo loaded with Tightgroup. I suspect if I spring my open gun lighter, it would work fine. Also there are more experienced Steel challenge open shooters here than I am. I'm mostly stating what I've observed from seeing what they load and use.

Vince

• 1 month later...