Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Borrowed Gun

bierman

I recently sold my Production gun (Beretta 92FS) and am in between guns at the moment. Luckily, a friend (cnemikeman) offered to loan me one of his extra guns for a local match. Mike shows up with a nice Glock 34 with Heine's, magazines, pouches and holster. Full rig ready to go! The 34 has an extended slide release but that's not a big deal, right? Apparently not. I shoot with a pretty high grip with my left hand and my hand (described by a squad made as "a chicken breast of a hand") keeps pushing the slide stop up. Of course, I don't figure this out until the first shot of the first stage. Bang, tap, Bang, tap, Bang, tap...well you get the picture. Kinda puts a kink in your whole stage plan when you are shooting a bolt action Glock. 76 seconds later I finish the stage. Luckily, my hits were pretty good (25 A's, 5 C's) so I did not finish last for that stage, but it was not how I wanted to start the match out. Got the problem figured out before the next stage so the gun was not the issue for the rest of the match...

Once you made the grip adjustment, you were rockin' n' rollin'. :)

I guess there ARE some advantages I have being a leftie.... I never even knew there WAS a slide release. Look at the bright side, you now have a borrowed LIMITED Glock to play with. :)

-Mike

PS... Damn it Harmon, get your backup gun finished so you don't wear them out so fast! :P:P

Edited by cnemikeman

I started shooting a Glock 24 a few months ago and discovered at my first match with it that my thumb would engage the slide stop, usually at the most inopportune time. I've since modified my grip to stop this, but I've really considered modifing the slide stop. By the way, mine is the standard one and not the extended stop.

Harmon let me shoot his 24 after the match, with standard slide release, and I had no trouble with it at all. He was kind enough to loan the gun to me (along with mags and holster) so I can try my hand in limited (and really get my ass kicked) for a while.