Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chroming

newshooter

I did a search and i couldn't find any thing i am thinking about sending my Edge off to get hard chromed and to hard chrome the pistol including the barrel is around 210 and also stated that if you don't hard chrome the barrel its 180 dollars. I was wondering if there is any reason/advantages to having a barrel hard chromed. I can sure use the extra thirty dollars on primers ammo powder etc. haha i can barely afford this addicting sport because of not having a job "college student with ours that wont let me work" So i was just wondering why to hard chrome a barrel or not. Thanks for taking the time to read this

Joey

The chromed barrel will be easier to clean.

It won't be any more accurate.

Barrels have a certain amount of wear and tear and you can reduce this by chroming it. Then the slide and barrel will share the wear and tear more evenly which I don't really care for.

For a nice appearance to the carbon steel barrel, you can polish it. As long as you keep a bit of oil on the polished parts of the carbon steel it's not going to rust.

Why chrome it at all...if money is tight?

Many shoot their guns "in the white" for years.

HAHA you know i really don't know why. first i guess it looks nicer and second blue shows wear quickly i guess it is just cosmetic. Maybe i will just leave it alone as it is and mess with it later on when the $ isn't to big of a problem haha. My way of thinking at this moment is buy things now before i have bills later. But i think i will hold off on the chroming there are more important things i need at the moment like LEAD haha i can't seem to ever have enough.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone

Hard chrome is like a protectant with lubricating qualities. I would always recommend Hard chroming. I would say H.C. the gun minus the bbl.. The Bbl. doesn't need H.C..

Flex is right when he says that there are people out there who shoot their guns in the white but if you have a high salt content in your sweat then you can pit the hell out of a gun that's in the white. Also, what kind of climate are you in?

Edited by Bigbadaboom

Hard chrome is like a protectant with lubricating qualities. I would always recommend Hard chroming. I would say H.C. the gun minus the bbl.. The Bbl. doesn't need H.C..

Flex is right when he says that there are people out there who shoot their guns in the white but if you have a high salt content in your sweat then you can pit the hell out of a gun that's in the white. Also, what kind of climate are you in?

Soooouuuttthhh texas RGV to be exact are weather here is always hott except for next few days it will be in the 70's which is a break for us down here our winter down here seems like a week long haha then back into the hott weather. Normal temp. down here is in the 90's and sunny. So i was kind of leading toward to leaving the gun alone but now I am back to thinking of H.C. it since it is a good protection/lubing to the gun. I guess if I spent 1500 on the gun might as well invest in some coating to help it last longer