Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifles .375 And Over

Well, don't stand there.

It's not like am sneaking up on anybody with a 5' long 40# rifle.

I have sat at shooting benches with other shooters w/ .50's on either side of me, I know the muzzle blast. It's not as bad as RO'ing an open gun inside a building, high frequency noise vs low frequency.

Next Topic pleez, cuz no one is gonna win this one!!!

How about this argument Z? Who needs a magnum? I know it's unwinnable too...

Conventional wisdom being what it is says you have to have certain calibers for certain things. However, I turned down offers for the conventional elk calibers like 7mm mags, .300's, .338's, 375's, and even an offer on a buddies .458 for an elk trip. My Steyr .308 (20" Mountain Rifle no less) had no problem with one shot on a beautiful 6x6 elk.

All about shot placement...and of course I'll have to add that shooting competitively helped me stay cool and calm for the trigger break.

I just wish I had not had a big, goofy grin on my face in some of the photos. It was my first large game hunting trip ever...

I have hunted lots with a guy who lives outside Delores, and he shoots them with a 25-06 and 115 Noslers...but he is an exceptional rifleman and lives there so he does not get too excited like us flatlanders...when he sees a good one...

Two yrs ago saw him shoot a 5x6 with one shot and a great 4x4 mulie also one shot....yes, got my 4x4 with one shot too..but I use a 300H&H...180 Noslers...LOL

I have hunted lots with a guy who lives outside Delores, and he shoots them with a 25-06 and 115 Noslers...but he is an exceptional rifleman and lives there so he does not get too excited like us flatlanders...when he sees a good one...

Flatlanders...:lol:

The hills around here in north central Alabama are just as big or bigger than the west Nebraska sandhills we were hunting. Not every trophy elk lives on top of a Rocky Mountain ;)

I wasn't trying to start an arhument, just saying it's not a good idea to stand 3' from the muzzle of a big bore rifle with an obvious brake on it, then complain about the noise.

It doesn't make mush sense to me to beat the crap out of yourself with a big rifle, possibly risking shoulder injury or detached retinas; when the easy solution is a muzzle brake.

Kory

Understand completely...and I agree...just stating the facts..some places you cannot hunt with a brake and if you are any where near the front of the gun, it can damage your hearing...Not being argumentative, just stating the facts.. :D

Middleman

You are correct, but it seems that the ones in Colorado know I live at sea level and are above 6000 ft each time I go to hunt...when I climb those "mountains" I know I live near the coast... ;)

I suppose one shot on game compared to a few dozen at the range would make for different priorities with recoil management and noise.

I have never had a hunting guide (other than family) so such restrictions are foreign to me. It is a guide thing, not a legal thing, right?

I couldn't imagine trying to carry my big bore any further than my vehicle to the bench.

I still get the occasional shooter that parks himself on the bench right next to the fifty, proceeds to ask a few questions, then complains it is too loud after I warned him of the noise and blast. Kinda like the guys that see you have an autoloader then chooses to place themselves in the path of ejected brass so they can complain. Choose one of the dozen other benches or we can take turns, OK.

My PH in Namibia didn't care if you used a muzzle brake, he put earplugs in before the shooting started.

Back to big bores:

I think I need one of these.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/fo...043/m/712109345

Whoo Hee--700HE. Shot some 850 gr Woodleigh

hollowpoints. I made them hollowpointed

to get 1000gr down to 850 gr for the first

session. 260gr of W-760, 2650 fps.. 300gr of

W-760, 3000fps.. 300gr of 748, 3200fps.

300gr of my H335 blend 3450fps.

I made a screw on breech from

a 10 lb 2' nut, u-bolted temporarily my

chambered barrel on a 150 lb I-beam mounted

to my tall 400lb shooting table. It has no extractor, but didn't need one. the 760 and

748 loads the case slipped out with my

fingers and the 335 hotter load case come out

with real light pry from a short screwdriver.

The case rim and 2/3 of extractor groove

protrude from barrel like in bolt rifle

so it is easy to grab or pry out.

Case showed minimal expansion, resized

easy, just one fired 8 times, used to

see how many times it is good for.

With that weight of bullet can't get enough powder behind it to stick a case hard.

Unless you used Bullseye.Ed

Ed Hubel

700HE, THE Blaster,

registered sporting cartridge.

850gr., .700" bullets at 3450fps? I think I'm in love!

I thought I knew about most current big bores...tell me about this one...based on what case, how long, and the gun...barrel how long, weighs how much, and have you done any pressure testing...I have NEVER considered a sporting cartridge which launched an 850 at over 3400 fps...WOW can you shoot it standing?

I thought I knew about most current big bores...tell me about this one...based on what case, how long, and the gun...barrel how long, weighs how much, and have you done any pressure testing...I have NEVER considered a sporting cartridge which launched an 850 at over 3400 fps...WOW can you shoot it standing?

tightloop,

This is one of the resident "lunatics" on Accurate Reloading's message board. Ed is one of the guys that built a 12ga From Hell, along with Rob Garnick (the creator of the 12GFH and the .600 OverKill). Ed makes the cases from barstock, IIRC. It's in the same catagory as the .700X50BMG.

If you follow the link in my post, you'll be able to read about quite a few neat cartridges, including the .550Magnum and .550 Express. Necked up big Weatherby brass (.378, .416, .460). They got 2 or 3 bullet makers to tool up for .550" bullets.

Check out the Big Bores Forum over there.