Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts On Galil In .308 For He-man?

baa

I have the opportunity to purchase a used galil chambered in .308 with a bunch of 20 round mags. I was thinking of picking it up for shooting He-Man. Anyone have any general experience/opinions on this rifle and if it would be suitable for semi-casual He-Man competition (I typically shoot tactical.)

Thanks!

I've had one for years, great rifle, I tried it in 3 guns years ago, before He-man, and got my butt kick by guys shooting AR's.

pro's

built like a tank, milled steel receiver and gas tube. the folding stock is based on the FN's, with it extended, there is no play in it. before I got mine,I read an article by chuck taylor that showed him running one over with a VW, and it kept running after.

good egronomics, well for an AK, the thumb safety allows you to take the safety off,without shifting or removing your grip.

good trigger pull, well again for an AK. 2 stage, with the 2nd stage feeling lighter than it really is.

scope mounting is easy, there is a milled cut out on the left side of the receiver that you slide the mount into.

cons

it heavy, it's built like a tank, and weights about as much as one.

very limited accessories, I don't know if anyone makes a comp with the galil's thread pattern. and there were 2 scope mounts imported for it.

the first one was forged with the base and rail being 1 piece,and side mounted scope. the second was held together by screws and positioned the scope over the receiver. if you can find the 1st model, it is great, the 2nd one was a total pos, and would unscrew it self every time I shot it.

no bolt open on last shot, well its an AK, none of them do.

limited spare parts, even the isreali's are phasing them out, spares my be a problem soon.

as far as mags, go, the factory mags hold 25 rounds, my buddies mags for his galil, or as he calls it his Gal lil, hold 20 rounds. and they are converted m14? mags

If you can buy it cheap from someone that doesnt know what its worth in investment value grab it up.

Not the best 3gun rifle due to parts availibility, slow mag changes and heavy recoil due to weight of moving parts.

• 3 weeks later...
If you can buy it cheap from someone that doesnt know what its worth in investment value grab it up.

Not the best 3gun rifle due to parts availibility, slow mag changes and heavy recoil due to weight of moving parts.

Hard to find weapon so great for a collection, but I wouldn't use it in competition. Mine used to beat the shit out of me.