Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

changing of parts on STI pistol

shooterx10

HELP!  One of the upper grip screws (the one on the right side of the frame) on my STI is stuck!  I  used an allen wrench to no avail!  How do I get it out?   I tried using WD40 to loosen it and that didn't work!  I'm swapping grips.

Also, how do you get the mag release out?  Do I just use a small straight screw driver?

Any help is appreciated!

Is it stripped? If so I put mine in a mill and mill out the ruined allen head carefully. If its just tight you are doing all you can do as heat on a plastic grip is a no no. There is a little device called an "Easy Out" at the auto parts supply store that will pull it out also. It also ruins it.

The mag catch is removed as any 1911. Push it in a little fron the other side, while turning the screw.

(Edited by BSeevers at 10:06 am on Feb. 2, 2003)

If the allen head is stripped, you could use a universal screw-head-adapter (aka a dremel with a cut-off wheel) to make a normal screwdriver slot.

If it just won't turn for some reason, you can also try taking some WD-40 to the back of the screw in the magwell.  If it's heat it needs, you can try holding the tip of a soldering iron on the back of it too-- that may melt some plastic if used too aggressively.