Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Glock Factory Crimp On Front Sight?

kraigster414

Hi, this is my first post and away we go.....Question for the experts out there:

I have a Glock factory front night sight on my G23 (was on the gun when purchased new) that I would like to remove. It appears as if it was crimped on. I don't care if I damage it in the process. What is the best way of getting it off? Punch it out from the inside using a tape role or grab the sight with a pair of needle nose pliers and pry it off the top (first affixing masking tape around the sight so not to mar the finish)? Some say punch it out, some say use the pliers. I don't know what method is best (and easiest).

I plan to install TruGlo TFOs once I get the darn thing off. Thanks.

Edited by kraigster414

Either method works, I've always used a punch from the underside. It's quick and easy.

When you install the new front sight, be careful to not over-torque the tiny bolt. They're easy to twist off completely. Also, have a straight edge on hand to align the front sight parallel to the bore, it's easy to miss this alignment until you look at the whole sight picture.

Thanks guys. Yeah, the cheapie OEM plastic front sight is a breeze to get off but this sucker looks like it's on pretty good. I am inclined to punch it out from the underside too with a punch smaller than the opening. I am afraid if I try and play frontier dentist with the needle nose pliers, I am going to ding up the slide. I am what is known as "severely tool challenged." :)

Edited by kraigster414

I don't care if I damage it in the process. What is the best way of getting it off?

Are you anywhere near Reno? If so, letting Erik W handle your gun should pretty much get the sights off the gun for you... :P:P:P

B