Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Slide Life

Roger Rabbit

I can't count the number of slides I've cracked - probably close to six on various different guns for various different reasons.

I look for it - but it rarely surprises me. Most slides I've cracked (and frames for that matter) have been on very well used blasters. Pressure, slide speed, gun abuse - all play into it.

For me its a factor of the sport. Obviously since I hardly shoot anymore I haven't had to worry about it much - but if I resumed the schedule of the past I'd probably crack a few more slides.

JB

• 2 weeks later...

Any truth to the "Hard Chroming" process possibly making the steel brittle and prone to cracking prematurely? Here's a quote from the Tripp Website that has me wondering if anyone has experienced this:

"With any electroplating process there can be a condition called hydrogen embrittlement. During the plating process some of the plating current goes to form hydrogen gas at the surface of the metal. Some of this hydrogen can be occluded in the basis metal which can cause residual stress in the surface and cause cracking problems later."

This is refering to the Hard Chrome process and here's the Website link:

http://www.trippresearch.com/tech/hardchro.../hardchrome.htm

Just wondering if any of these slides of Roger's were "Hard Chromed" and if they were all done by the same shop?? Sounds like Tripp knows what they are doing in their process, but others may not?? Any comments or feedback would be welcome. I want to have my STI Blaster Hard Chromed eventually and I'm just wondering if there is a risk?? Thanks!

I've got 3 guns with over 75,000 rounds in each with no problems. I think that incorrect barrel installation and metal treatments are to blame for most of the cracked slides. Nitriding is probably the worst thing you could do to a slide for stress cracking. Anything over rockwell C of 45 can and will cause this. Nickel plating may also. The slides do also work harden depending on material used. I wish the pictures worked on my system so I could see the problem. Hope this helps.

"With any electroplating process there can be a condition called hydrogen embrittlement. During the plating process some of the plating current goes to form hydrogen gas at the surface of the metal. Some of this hydrogen can be occluded in the basis metal which can cause residual stress in the surface and cause cracking problems later."

RC 51,

This problem is overcome when handled properly. If the parts are "baked" or "tempered" in an oven for several hours after the hard chrome is applied, it relieves the stress and potential for cracking. The good hard chrome platers know this and do it.

Jeff

I have fixing the picture already. I have 2 crack Nitrid treatment slide. After that I do nothing to the slide not even bluing it. The hardchrome issue made me wonder that thai gunsmith know about the stress relieve after the process. :D

I suspect you're on to something about the plating. The crack I saw, "A" seems to come from the corner of the inside, where the slide is machined to clear the chamber. If that corner was cut with too small of a radius, then made slightly more brittle from a plating process, then it could crack.

I would not shoot a slide that had cracked and been welded. Too much potential for changes in the heat treatment and toughness.

I vote for bad fit on A...Ejection port too low on B...Bad slide on C.

A could be check-drilled to stop the crack. A crack through to the rail can be

tigged up and used a while longer. I had an A crack on a .45, check-drilled it

and had it tigged. Then I draw-filed the weld and touched it up with cold bluing. You had to look close to see it, and the pistol has seen another 10,000 rounds without a problem. Don't know how well it would hold up

in .38 Soop or 9X23 as I don't use either of them.

Opt for a new slide if money permits, but repairing the slides can save

some bucks. I've also check-drilled and tigged frame cracks, and returned

the pistol to service, although not as heavy as before the repairs.

Cheers!

Tuner

Roger,

Check-drilling is simple to do provided that your eyesight is sharp enough to

see the end of the crack. Mine is starting to fail up close, so I have to use

a jeweler's loop.

Locate the end of the crack and lightly center punch it at that point to

keep your drill from wandering. Drill a small hole all the way through

the slide or frame. I use a 1/32nd bit. With a drill bit this small, you

will need to spin it very fast to prevent breaking it. be sure to use

some light oil during the process to keep from burning your bit. You

will also need to be very careful to keep the bit straight, as they are easy to