Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

question for Brian

Kevin Kline

During live-fire training sessions, for the first times try to leave the timer in your bag and concentrate on sight picture alone.

Hi,

Thanks for the input.

For now, I'm already practicing without a timer as I don't have one yet.

Still, I will focus even more on correct sight picture and I will check where my focus is.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One eye..two eyes....four...whatever you got going on...

You gotta see the proper sight alignment...and see where the sights are when the bullet leaves the barrel. (call the shot)

If the sights are properly aligned...and on target...it is impossible to miss.

If you are hitting left, then you should be able to see that as the shot leaves the barrel.

I would guess that, with all the new stuff you are trying, your focus has landed somewhere other than the front sight...as the shot leaves the barrel.

You might try the two eyed thing without a target for a while...shoot into the berm (or something that doesn't distract in any way)...with all of your focus on reading the sights as the shot breaks. Just the sights...no target...no trying to hit anything.

A few weeks ago I was doing some dry fire practice in my basement. After a while I noticed I didn't have my prescription(near sighted) glasses on. After putting my glasses on, I quickly noticed I was unable to bring the front sight into focus with both eyes open. Naturally my first assumption is that there is something wrong with my prescription, but after reading this thread and the posts about lenses with different focal planes, I'm starting to wonder if this is common with eyeglass wearers. Is this a common thing or do I need to make an appointment to see the eye guy?

Ktulu,

I lot os shooters get their perscription shooting glasses regulated to the distance of their front sight. Many just take their gun into the eye doctor as a reference when getting fitted.

There is lots of info on this...try a few searches and see what you come up with.

Hi,

I wear glasses too. I'm not sure how my vision would be called, but my glasses are to aid me to see at greater distances (is that "shortsighted", I'm Dutch .. ?).

Anyway, I can bring the front sight in focus easily now with two eyes open.

And BTW: in the past few days I have been calmly dry-firing at home, practicing two-eyed focus. Yesterday I went to the range and I had no more problems getting POA = POI at distances ranging from 10-25 meter with two eyes open. I really took the time to put each shot there where I wanted it and seeing everything happening right in front of me. Really seeing it. It was a great sensation, shooting well with two eyes open. It seems like the whole situation is literally and figuratively becoming three-dimensional. I get so much more visual input (awareness) now ! It really is great. I will keep on practicing this until I'm really consistently hitting A's everytime, and then slowly bring back the speed back again (yesterday I scored 142xA, 6xC and 2xD out of a 150 shots with my G17 by the way).

Thanks for your help !