Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Trigger For Ar-15 9mm Rifle

surfmaster

Hi Everyone,

I have a Colt AR-15 9mm rifle that I use for matches. It currently has the stock trigger, which is heavy. I would like to get a new trigger system for my rifle. Of course, I looked in JP's trigger system, which is arguable one of the best for AR-15s. I would like to use it with the JP low mass hammer. I wrote to JP but he said their hammer is only good with .223 rifles and that I need to use the factory 9mm AR-15 hammer.

I asked a friend about this and he said that the JP trigger and hammer work well together and that I would be wasting my time if I just used the JP trigger with my stock factory hammer. He recommended that I just get a trigger job on my existing Colt factory trigger and hammer, since I will never realize the full potential of a JP trigger with just the trigger and not the low mass hammer.

My feeling is to just get the JP trigger and install it with my factory 9mm hammer. Has anyone ever done this and what were your results? Should I do what I think or follow my friend's advice of just getting a trigger job on my existing parts?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

The stock hammer will work just fine with the JP trigger......you may need to use the stock hammer spring....however, you will still achieve the same crisp trigger, even if it is a little heavier (4-4.5# vs 3-3.5#).

If you rework the stock hammer and trigger.....you will probably get less pull....but will probably 'feel' all the take up. And with no overtravel stop, feel a very mushy trigger. I would rather have a heavy crisp triger anyday than a light trigger with 'creep'