Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun rifle stage victory

kellyn

This is my ultimate bragging rights story.  In 2000, I shot the Mystery Mountain 3 gun in tactical class with an iron-sighted rifle.  So far so good...     There was one stage where you started out in a helicopter and shot 8 shots from a bungee mounted DSA FN .308.  You then proceeded to run to your own rifle (an AR) and engage a bunch of paper targets down a wash (5 to 50ish yds) and then engage several paper and steel flashers through a port.  The ranges to these were 100 to 250ish.  

In 3 Gun, I tend to rely on my rifle scores so I really looked this stage over, walking through again and again. I visualized where all the targets were, again and again.  Finally, I said I was ready to shoot.  I started blazing w/ the DSA and on the last shot, the rear sight popped the lens out of my Zeiss shooting glasses.  Now, I am very near-sighted.  I had to decide whether to find the lens, to shoot w/o it or to shoot left handed.  I choose to shoot righthanded w/ no lens and shot out of pure fear.  I grabbed my AR and could pretty much see the front sight and a bunch of blurry desert.  I almost fell down running w/ one eye corrected and the other not. I could not even see the steel and only vaguely make out the 200 yard paper.  I just put the front sight where I remembered the targets to be and slapped the trigger several times.  When done, I was sure I would be last on the stage w/ a bunch of misses.  I won the stage w/ a smoking time and shot it clean!    

That IS an incredible story, and I was there for it! Although, at the time I thought you were just using your normal above average skill with a rifle to demolish scope sighted sighted guns (with iron sights). (Something I can relate to. :) Now that I hear the real story, I feel you tapped the force for that one!

be