Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Lnl Ap Shellplate Issue

My shiny new LNL AP has developed a bad habit on one position on the shellplate. When the position directly opposite the '1' mark comes to the priming station it comes in late and won't seat primers centered on the pocket. If I advance the plate it seems to find the detent and seats properly.

My first thought was random tight brass, but I traced it back to that position and what appears to be a timing issue with just the one position. I don't see how adjusting the pawls would do any good, and I've pulled the plate, cleaned and reinstalled everything and the problem persists. The initial 300 or so rounds went fine, then this popped up. I've got several primed cases with 'smeared' primers where the lip tore, hanging over the case head in the direction of the next stage. Primers are Fed 150 LP, and I'm doing .45 ACP.

Bad shellplate?

Andy

well, the timing is easy enough to adjust, so i would consider giving that a try. If the timing is off just a little you get intermitent primer seating problems.

I got my timing screwed up trying to sort out problems with my 9mm shell plate. The shell plate needed some polishing in the end, but after messing around so much I needed to re-time it. It's probably the only section of the user's manual with sufficient instructions.

hornady will also glady talk with you and try to help you out.

*** Update ***

Here's what I got back from Hornady on my email...

"The press just had a little break in and smoothed off some machined edges. You can adjust the left pawl and correct it. Use that station to adjust the left pawl so the it will index correctly and the rest will al follow in place."

I'm buying that explaination as the sluggish index seemed to change on the subsequent 300 or so I ran through. Teething pains is all ;)

Edited by Resq47

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, Andy,

I had the same issue. The left pawl was the fix for me too. It just was not going quite far enough for the detent to catch on one space in the plate. I make mine work for three cartridges, and it took some fine tuning of the pawl to make it work OK for all.

Billski