Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 646

Nemo

Sam Conway has this revolver for sale. It's an unfired, 4" barrel, pre-lock, L-frame, internal FP, Ti Cylinder, 40S&W gun. I've had never seen it before or heard of it. Any info?

Although I think I'd rather stay 45, it is tempting since it looks like it could be an excellent IDPA revo.

Who's got one?

I do. Shot it last weekend at the Iowa Revolver Champs, in fact, just for fun! It shot great, but the reloads were definitely way slower for a whole variety of reasons.

It WAS a great IDPA gun until they changed the rules. It's not real friendly to shoot on an extended basis with 165+ p.f. ammo. With minor power stuff, it's very pleasant.

Cool carry gun, though.

Nemo,

I have 2 of them. One is for shooting, the other is for investment purposes...........more on that in a bit.

The 646 is a "L" frame sized revo(same size as a 686). It was originally a performance center gun only then the rest of the parts was made into a production run of only 900 or so (see the investment?)

It is a 4 inch gun only (as far as I know) and has a titanium cylinder making it very light and heavy ammo has a good bit of "OOMPH" I don't particularly like shooting my USPSA major loads in it very much if at all.

Now it was a good gun for IDPA until the moonclip/speedloader split, now it is pretty much usless for that game. I still shoot mine in ICORE matches when I can attend one.

for a "match" gun, I don't recomend it. But it would be a great gun to start off women, or children off with if you load up some really soft shooting loads for it.

If you have any more questions about it just PM me.

SAM

But it would be a great gun to start off women, or children off with if you load up some really soft shooting loads for it.

Good point Sam.

My son is in his third year of shooting revolvers in competition. This is what he's shot:

Year 1 (age 11): S&W Model 10, minor loads

Year 2 (age 12): S&W Model 646, minor loads

Year 3 (age 13): S&W Model 25-2, major loads

This progression has worked well for him.

It seems I am alone shooting 646 in IPSC matches at 173 PF.

Last match I returned to 625: now I am sure the 646 is the best for me!

I can manage the heavier recoil ( not much more jump), I can live with a bit slower reloads ( not chamfered tytanium cylinder main reason), but handling performance of this gun and its shorter action are perfect for my medium sized hands.

Sam Conway has this revolver for sale. It's an unfired, 4" barrel, pre-lock, L-frame, internal FP, Ti Cylinder, 40S&W gun. I've had never seen it before or heard of it. Any info?

Although I think I'd rather stay 45, it is tempting since it looks like it could be an excellent IDPA revo.

Who's got one?

I also have 2 of them

like Sam one has never been fired

they are very good guns and the action from the factory

were very good.

the Ti cyl did cause some problems with getting the brass to eject

after firing 12 to 18 rds rapidly with major loads

I bought both guns for around $589 ea.

there are very few if your a smith and wesson guy I would buy it.

good luck

Gary

I've got one as well. I shot it in IDPA before the rule change and then couldn't find a major load to shoot with it. I've been playing around with it for the last couple of months and came up with a 175 PF load that isn't bad to shoot. Like Mike said, it's not as fast to load but it's fun to shoot and carry. I might even shoot it next weekend at the Illinois Sectional

Jerry

since it is a moon clip gun it has to run in ESR, thus it has to run with a 165 minimum power factor. the 625's are a heck of a lot easier to handle at that power factor......and the big hole reload faster.

Brett