Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Porting Advice For 625 Snub

Matt Griffin

I'm not a revo shooter, and a friend asked my opinion on the hybra-porting for his 3" 625s. It's done by geminicustoms.com, and I told him that it wasn't a good idea for a carry gun in .45, due to port flare, port burn, loss of velocity, and low-pressure .45 not working the comp very well.

Was I on base with this?

H.

I'm not a revo shooter, and a friend asked my opinion on the hybra-porting for his 3" 625s. It's done by geminicustoms.com, and I told him that it wasn't a good idea for a carry gun in .45, due to port flare, port burn, loss of velocity, and low-pressure .45 not working the comp very well.

Was I on base with this?

H.

All the writers will disagree with me on this but I have tested j frames and find no problem with "Magnaporting". Hybra Porting is a different story as the ports are straight up. If he wants better info on Hybr Porting, contact Jack Weigand as it was his design I think. Google search will give you his web sight.

In the instance of J frames there is minimal change in Chrono info, hollow points expand as they should, and felt recoil is reduced significantly. I shoot a S&W Air lite Tytanium with full power 357MAG loads and there are no problems.

On the subject of porting a 3" 625, the man should be slapped hard.025.gif

The 3" was made in a limited production run of approx 650 IIRC and are very desirable to those of us that like the 625 as a carry gun. Replacement barrels are not available from the factory.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

If you plan to use the gun for CCW in low or no light conditions, I strongly recommend you try any centerfire, ported, short barreled gun in a darkened room or outdoors after sunset before you destroy a relatively valuable revolver.

I'd also tell you that anyone who shoots 357 Magnums out of a Ti J-frame is not a well person. I know Gary so I know this to be true.

Craig

Was I on base with this?

H.

Houngan, I think you gave your friend excellent advice. Good job.

The 3" was made in a limited production run of approx 650 IIRC and are very desirable to those of us that like the 625 as a carry gun. Replacement barrels are not available from the factory.

Heh, understood, but he's actually getting 4" guns cut down, so he's not ruining a classic. Sorry to alarm.

H.

I'd also tell you that anyone who shoots 357 Magnums out of a Ti J-frame is not a well person. I know Gary so I know this to be true.

Craig

You gotta try this one :D Like shooting Plus Ps

Well, I would not go that far to compare it to +Ps, but the magnaporting I had done on my 340 makes it so I can shoot 357s and not give up after 1 round. It does make a big difference. I checked it (ported 340) and a 3 inch non-ported 66 over a chrono a couple of weeks ago and found the following:

UMC 38+P 125 gr.

340 = low: 818 high: 837 ave: 825

66 = low: 857 high: 928 ave: 898

Speer 38+P 135 gr Gold Dot

340 = low: 840 high: 859 ave: 851

66 = low: 915 high: 956 ave: 939

Speer 357 short barrel 135 gr. Gold Dot

340 = low: 867 high: 944 ave: 909

66 = low: 972 high: 1044 ave: 1028

Federal Prem. 357 Personal Defense Low Recoil

130 gr. Hydra Shock

340 = low: 1067 high: 1178 ave: 1109

66 = low: 1268 high: 1332 ave: 1294

The Federal 357 box lists the velocity as 1300 fps and the 3 inch barrel hits it and averages just under it. As for double tap speed, if you carry +P 38's in a 340 it is true you can double tap faster than with 357's, but you only have 2 1/2 double taps till empty. I'd rather have 5 full power 357's to divvy out if I ever needed to.

Edited by festus1

Craig

You gotta try this one :D Like shooting Plus Ps

Well, I would not go that far to compare it to +Ps, but the magnaporting I had done on my 340 makes it so I can shoot 357s and not give up after 1 round. It does make a big difference. I checked it (ported 340) and a 3 inch non-ported 66 over a chrono a couple of weeks ago and found the following:

UMC 38+P 125 gr.

340 = low: 818 high: 837 ave: 825

66 = low: 857 high: 928 ave: 898

Speer 38+P 135 gr Gold Dot

340 = low: 840 high: 859 ave: 851

66 = low: 915 high: 956 ave: 939

Speer 357 short barrel 135 gr. Gold Dot

340 = low: 867 high: 944 ave: 909

66 = low: 972 high: 1044 ave: 1028

Federal Prem. 357 Personal Defense Low Recoil

130 gr. Hydra Shock

340 = low: 1067 high: 1178 ave: 1109

66 = low: 1268 high: 1332 ave: 1294

The Federal 357 box lists the velocity as 1300 fps and the 3 inch barrel hits it and averages just under it. As for double tap speed, if you carry +P 38's in a 340 it is true you can double tap faster than with 357's, but you only have 2 1/2 double taps till empty. I'd rather have 5 full power 357's to divvy out if I ever needed to.

I did similar tests. mine were done with a Magnaported 340 and a 60 unported. The differences were less with the similar guns but I do not have the results as they are in a computer that crashed. I plan to run the tests again.

Muzzle flash was given as a detractor to ports. Gold Dots have low flash and are not a problem with low light or No light. The comparison I did was unported 357MAG 60 with ported 357MAG 340PD. I also added a 357SIG Sig 239 to the mix. All are useable for low light and no light with no problems.

There was also mention of

due to port flare, port burn, loss of velocity, and low-pressure .45 not working the comp very well.

We are not talking an Open gun here. The purpose is to reduce felt recoil and nothing more on a self defense gun. Porting works. Hybr Porting needs to be used carefully but If I recall my discussion with Jack Weigand, the ports direct the gasses away from the shooter and were designed for self defense purposes. Again, he would be the expert on this.

As for

I think you gave your friend excellent advice.

and

Carmoney is right.

It is time to rely on real life where

I get so little positive reinforcement in real life....... :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

So, does anybody need a 3" 625 bbl? Just happen to have an extra.

Mark

Talk to me dude. I had a deal lined up on one but it fell through. PM me with your price or post here.

3"45acp625 bbl, w/short ejector rod and a pinned in SDM fiber optic sight

I PM'd a couple of days ago, but no reply so I thought I would post. Hope this is okay.

You can PM me for a price