Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Need Help With A 9mm Load For Idpa

J.P.

I'm looking for a good low power floor load for IDPA.

I have a lot of questions....

I plan on using Master Blaster 147gr Truncated FPs

My reloading setup is a *gag* Lee turret and I can't find any charge discs that will throw the ever popular 3.2-3.3gr of titegroup.

What kind of velocity can I expect with 3.5gr?

Is there a good recipe for the Master Blaster 147gr?

I need to know everything ...primers...OAL...powder,etc.

The only powder i have is power pistol currently,is there a nice load for that one?

I've searched the site,but I haven't been able to find complete recipies with these bullets,listing PF and Velocities.

Thanks for your help.

JP

JP, with your measure you are going to be limited in powder choices, especially when you are trying to stay near the floor. Bullseye and N310 will be good choices, softer and more consistent than Titegroup. They will be just as dense though, and throw charges as heavy as TG from the discs.

I like Clays with a 147, 3.2 with a jacketed 147 gives me about 135 PF from a 4" barrel and is dead soft shooting. Your measure will choke though if you try to throw Clays in this light of a charge. For primers, whatever you can find locally will be fine but I like Winchester and Federal. OAL, set your seating and crimp with a round of factory ammunition that you know works well in your gun, then you don't have to worry about anything there.

HSMITH,

do you have a suggestion on how to throw clays at your suggested 3.2 charge weight with a lee unit? will a xl650 throw a 3.2 charge weight reliably?

Edited by yoshidaex

yoshidaex, I didn't get the Lee to throw that light with any consistency at all using Clays, it wouldn't throw Clays within .3 grains no matter what I did even at 4.7 grains. I didn't have the micro disc miche mentions, nor did I know it was available.

The Dillon measure will do it with no problems, and stay within a tenth.

Yoshidaex, you are quite welcome but try them before you load a pile of them. Some people don't like the way they feel. They make the gun feel like it is cycling kind of slow or a little sluggish, some people like it and some don't. It is strictly a feel thing, the gun still cycles faster than a .10 split so it won't be a big deal.

i tried some 147 with 3.45 of TG and the recoil is a rolling type of recoil which isn't too bad. If the clays is even rollier (not a real word) it'll be used for practice ammo. hell as long as it meets minor PF i'll be happy.

oh by the way J.P. sorry for the thread jack.

I was wondering when the hi-jack would end. :D

j/k

Thanks for the replies so far.

I don't have easy access to a chrono at the moment so I'm wanting info on a solid proven 147gr load so when i get to measure them they will be close enough that i won't have to do too much tweaking.

Also,I don't have the luxury of investing in a lot of different powders right now to experiment with.

I have a match coming up in two weeks and i'd like to have something lined out by then.

I'm going to order bullets tomorrow and I still haven't decided on either Berrys or MasterBlasters but i'm leaning toward the masterblasters.

Looking good so far are:

3.2gr Titegroup

Berrys 147

3.0 Titegorup

Berrys 147

3.6gr VV n330

Masterblaster

OAL?

3.8gr WST

Berrys

(reported 139,000pf)

If the win powders are going to meter better with my auto-disk setup,i may need to go that route,which makes the last load look appealing.

FWIW,I'll be shooting a Glock 17 with 13# spring minus 3 coils.

i'd be very interested in hearing any other proven load recipes that use the Masterblaster bullets,including their respective velocities.

Thanks again.

JP, use a known good round for your gun, a round that you know works great. Put that round in the ram, back the seating die way up, seating stem way up too. Raise the ram, crank the die down firmly against the round, then lock it. Crank the seating stem down firmly against the bullet with the ram still fully raised, lock it. You just made the profile of your reloads match a known good profile in your gun. Load a few with your bullet. Record the OAL, check it against your manuals, if all looks good go shoot it. If your OAL is less than the book suggests back the charge off by 10-15% and go shoot over a chronograph. Work up to PF you want.

Edited by HSMITH

I modified the Lee micro-disk to throw 3.2gr of titegroup consistantly.

If i use a MasterBlaster 147 should i set the OAL at 1.122"?

What modification did you make? I'm trying to get that same load consistently and am having troubles.

I modified the Lee micro-disk to throw 3.2gr of titegroup consistantly.

If i use a MasterBlaster 147 should i set the OAL at 1.122"?

What modification did you make? I'm trying to get that same load consistently and am having troubles.

I bored out the hole in the disk.

I'm not sure how much right off the top of my head but I think it was .003-.004

JP, use a known good round for your gun, a round that you know works great. Put that round in the ram, back the seating die way up, seating stem way up too. Raise the ram, crank the die down firmly against the round, then lock it. Crank the seating stem down firmly against the bullet with the ram still fully raised, lock it. You just made the profile of your reloads match a known good profile in your gun. Load a few with your bullet. Record the OAL, check it against your manuals, if all looks good go shoot it. If your OAL is less than the book suggests back the charge off by 10-15% and go shoot over a chronograph. Work up to PF you want.

Thanks for the advice.

It loks like the OAL I'm going to try is satisfactory.