Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Singlestack Reload Par Time

EricW

Title says it all: What times are the hot rocks hitting reloads in using USPSA Singlestack / IDPA legal gear?

Anybody have a clue if the Safariland competition 1-mag per holder mag pouches are legal and/or will remain legal in USPSA SS?

Thanks!

Edited by EricW

I don't know about the Super - G supersquad, but at the S. FL Single Stack I was squadded with 11 M's and 3 G's and I ran the timer for the standards stage.

Solid loads went around 1.30 which real world isn't too bad for high caps either.

Personally I've never focused on skinny gun, and have never broken 1.0 with one. Hmm, there's a new goal.

Thanks. I'm going to ask a lot more annoying questions about skill times, because I had to be informed that I was already reloading my fat gun fast enough and it was OK to go work on other stuff.

1.3 sounds about right on game day. I think I'm about 1.5ish right now. Sub 1 with non-gamer mag pouches sounds damn near superhuman. The problem is getting to the mag, not so much getting it into the gun.

As far as I know the Safariland pouches are legal in Single Stack. I have been using them and so have other people in my area.

Reloads for the single stack should be close to what they would be for any other gun. Maybe a little faster because the mags are lighter. I normally run "A" to "A" at 10 yards in about 1.1-1.2 with my single stack on a good day and around 1.3 on a bad day. I am usually a little more consistent during a match then in practice with my reloads as I am a little smoother during the match from not trying to be too fast, speed doesn't change much......

I feel my practice with standard placement pouches helped, but lining that skinny mag up with that skinny magwell is time consuming. Breaking 1.0 sec is a lofty goal.

The leather safariland pouches I use are a little slower than the CR speeds I have for my limited rig, but a god grab and clean load is a still possible. After our sectional this weekend, I am going to slow WAY down, and play around with other things, maybe I'll give skinny gunning some attention.

My interest in SS is primarily to "finish" my reload. I've got the speed with the fat gun, now it's time for the consistency. If can reload a SS in a rock-solid 1.25, I feel like I can check "Learn How to Reload a Pistol" off the action-item list.

The fastest I reloaded mine on match day, was 1.1; which is weird, since in practice (using Matt Burkett's online par timer) the fastest I could do was 1.3. That's placing the pouches in the international (IPSC Standard) hip placement, non racing pouches.

Edited by Pierruiggi

The fastest I reloaded mine on match day, was 1.1; which is weird, since in practice (using Matt Burkett's online par timer) the fastest I could do was 1.3. That's placing the pouches in the international (IPSC Standard) hip placement, non racing pouches.

Your match time *was* your par time. It took you 0.3s to react to the beep. In a match, you're not waiting for a beep, it's happening automatically.

Makes sense Eric. :)

Also (and this is not to derail the thread), I'm usually more "calm", o perhaps "focused" is a more accurate word, in a match than in practice. In practice I tend to worry about performing the technique correctly, which leads to some inconsistency; while on match I'm focused doing whatever is that I'm doing at the time.

True.

...but I'm not talking the best 3 out of 10, I'm talking what's your par-time for 10 or 20 reloads? 1-sec reloads "matter" on silly classifiers, not matches.

If you reload 10 times and you never go over 1.75 par-time, it's time to work on something more important. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm embarassed to show my SS times. They're getting better as I shoot the SS more (imagine that). The smaller margin of error and mag pouch placement (for an old, arthritic, fat guy) seem to be the two biggest hurdles.

Edited by jwrig

• 4 weeks later...

I started doing a drill with the gun out and on target, one shot, reload one shot. The times started our near 2 seconds and quickly dropped to 1.7 or so.

Now, I do a drill of draw, one shot, reload, one shot, reload, one shot reload, one shot reload. Now the times are consistently around 1.5 -1.6 seconds. This is standing about 18-19 yards from the targets. I am just a B shooter.