Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sub-second draw

ErikW

I seldom look at my draws in matches, but at a recent match (4th Sunday of March), I smoked a stage and the RO looked at the draw time for me.  The target I drew to was REAL close (4 yards maybe?) and wide open, not to mention down low.  ".80 draw," he said.  Cool.  

The next stage began with another wide open target at normal shoulder height at probably 5 yards or so.   I asked how that one compared because I thought I nailed that draw too.  Another .80 exactly.  

I had just commented the day before how I didn't think I broke a second in matches although I could do it in practice.  

Like BE says, "The only limits you have are those you set yourself."   (Ok, I'm sure I just butchered that quote but I think it's something like that  ;) )

I wasn't "trying" for a fast draw. Well I was at first because it was a three-yard target off to the side. (I'm always drawing at 7+ yards at other clubs.) At LAMR I was setting up for a quick draw when I realized my index to the other two targets was off. I corrected my index and said to hell with the draw.

• 1 month later...

Saturday had a stage where we started hands on a wall and had to move 5-6 feet to the left of the wall before we could see the targets. Even though I started with the farthest-right target, my first shot was 1.82 before I had to stop when a popper blew down. Since I shot a D on the first target, on my reshoot I tried for a smoother first shot with a better sight picture. Turned out to be 1.69 the second time around. I just couldn't believe it. I spent my first two years drawing at about 1.90, now I'm under that drawing to a partial target I can't even see at the beep.

(Of course, I wasted the quick draw later in the stage when I stumbled and took an upper A/B above a no-shoot strong-hand gangsta style while the weak arm was flailing for balance/trying to break my fall.)

OK, I did it Erik. :)

At an indoor match, the first target was about 3 feet in front.  "..Ohhh yaaa!.."  I thought

From the draw, first shot was .85, second shot came at .14 sec later.  I had engaged the target TWICE (two A's) in under 1 sec (.99)   Yipppiee!!!!

Did I see the sights?  HELL NO!

• 2 months later...

A couple weeks ago I made a .91 draw to the top quarter of an A zone with a no-shoot below it. Alpha on the draw, followed by a Charlie. Yeah it was close but still, it felt good.

(Correction: The Jeff Maas stage design was Breath Takes a Holiday, not Triploblastic as originally reported.)

(Edited by Erik Warren at 3:20 pm on Aug. 9, 2002)