Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sps Mags In A Para?

OPENB

I am waiting on a Para p18 9mm LDA I won on Gunbroker for cheap. It's coming with 2 factory mags, but I want a couple more for Production use. Will the SPS mags work in this gun with or without modification? Is the mag release notch in the right spot? I can get the Mec-gar P18 mags for $17 at Brownells, but have heard they probably won't hold the slide back without a follower swap, still cheaper that $44 for Para mags. Opinions welcome for mags.

Will a regular ambi safety work on the LDA pistols? This one does not have an ambi, I am left handed, and am use to riding the safety with my left thumb on my other 1911s. Really won't have much use for a safety on this pistol, except as a thumb rest. I assume this is legal for production since other LDAs come with ambi's.

I am anxious to shoot this gun for production. I am not happy with my Glock 34, just too different from my STI's grip.

SPS makes Para specific tubes. They had a table for their Para mags at the Lim/Lim 10 Nationals.

They actually hold less (like the STI tubes of old) than OEM mags. Like the STI tubes they have flatter angled shoulders that make it easier (for some people) to reload. They are also made like the STI/SVI mags where they don't rust like the old OEM Para mags do and they are slicker and more polished than the OEM mags.

Since Production only allows 10 rounds (I'm assuming you shoot USPSA) I would buy/use the SPS mags because they are easier to reload and the body is overall just better (smoother, less likely to rust vs. blue tubes, etc.) made than the Para tubes.