Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi Steel Mainspring Housing Binds Grip

Adam B

I just bought a SVI steel mainspring housing and after I install it, it binds the grip to the point that the mags wont drop free. When I reinstall the factory plastic one everything works fine, anyone have any ideas on how to correct this.

i thought someone would have replied to your question by now....

is the steel MSH the same dimensions as the plastic one?

its possible you need to file the steel one down so it fits perfectly for your application. I can see how a oversize MSH would bulge out a polymer grip.....

I would propose a quick test:

Remove the sear spring and re-insert the new Mainspring housing to see if the housing is causing the binding or if it is a combination of the sear spring and the new housing.

If the mags fall free, you can re-install the sear spring and see if the problem is caused by the sear spring protruding slightly at the lower tab that locates the spring. It could also be the radius at the bottom of the sear spring. While the grip has a sharp 90 degree cut, the sear springs sometimes have a bit of a radius. You can usually take a slight amout of material (plastic or metal, whichever is protruding) from the inside of the grip, at the sear spring tab location, and all will be back to normal.

It is likely that the steel housing just fits tighter against the sear spring and is causing the interference with the mags. Should be a quick and easy fix.

If the housing alone causes the bind, you will have to send the housing back for replacement.

Leo

Edited by L9X25

I tried it without the sear spring and it still binds it. It seems to hit in the front of the grip near the top.

i thought someone would have replied to your question by now....

is the steel MSH the same dimensions as the plastic one?

its possible you need to file the steel one down so it fits perfectly for your application. I can see how a oversize MSH would bulge out a polymer grip.....

I need to get the calipers out and make some measurements, I am sure that that will give me an idea of what is wrong.

I would make the recommendation that you call the fine folks at SV and make them aware of the problem BEFORE you make any modifications to the part. They will tell you what to do or they will replace the unit if it is defective.

I tried it without the sear spring and it still binds it. It seems to hit in the front of the grip near the top.

I need to get the calipers out and make some measurements, I am sure that that will give me an idea of what is wrong.