Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Shotgun Sight?

bonedaddy

There's been a lot of good discussion about setting up an open shotgun.   I've been scanning the threads hoping to find  some mention of the best set-up for sights on a limited shotgun.   I've got an older 1100 with 28" modified, fixed choke VR barrel.   Is the stock gold bead good for 3 gun matches or would I be better off getting a deer barrel or ghost ring with rifle sights?    I seem to do OK with the plain bead, but I might as well know if there is a better way.   Who would be kind enough to point out the pros and cons of bead vs. rifle type sights?    Thanks for the help!

B-Diddy---

In the long run I think you will appreciate the advantages of the ghost ring sight for 3-gun shooting. The ability to aim precisely comes in handy on slug stages with hard cover and no-shoots. The ghost rings when used properly will be just as fast as a bead on steel and static clay targets. The only time I might prefer a bead, or no sight at all, would be moving targets and aerial clays. Then all my attention is on the moving target and everything else is just a distraction.

Go with a barrel in the 18" to 22" range. They tend to be quick enough for those stages with lots of prone/kneeling positions and tight ports. IMHO anything longer seems unwieldy and tends to overswing on quick transitions.

I'm no 1100 expert as I am solidly in the Benelli camp, but I might think about a set of Trac-lok ghost ring sights of the type found on Scattergun Technologies/Wilson shotguns. They seem simple and bulletproof. Hopefully some 1100 shooters will chime in with suggestions.

Good luck.

I agree w/ icer.  A Ghost-ring rear sight and post front sight is a good setup.  My 1187 has a williams rear sight w/ the screw-in aperture removed and a CPM fiber-optic front sight.  While I don't care for the fiber-optic and a pistol, I really like it on the shotgun.  Other good sights include MMCs and the aformentioned Scattergun Tech trak-lok (sic?).  You can shoot a bead on steel w/ no handicap but the bead tends to fall short when shooting slugs.  I absolutely hate the ghost-ring or "deer" slug sights when shooting flying clay - too much to look at.

Cut that barrel!  Cut it to 22 inches and get interchangeable chokes.  Since you can only have 8 shots, why have a barrel that is sticking out 6-7 inches past the mag tube, hitting everything in sight?  There tends to be some tight shots in shotgun stages.  There were several spots in the 3-gun Natls where a long gun was very unwiedly and I understand that there were even tighter shots in Kyle's match.

Thanks for the insight Icer,  the 28" tube does indeed seem unwieldy.   I rarely ever shoot aerial targets or clays,  the ghost ring with a post front sounds about right.  I can always put the stock barrel back on if I want to go bird hunting or something.  I have shot a freind's Benelli a few times, nice gun!  I could go for one of those too.  But then, I need a few parts to finish my FAL, and a bull barrel for a Mauser I'm building and to make matters worse, I shot Ron Ankeny's 6" STI yesterday.   I've shot hardballers and long slides before, but this thing is light as a feather, cycles fast and shoots flat.  I can see me wearing one:)

Hey Kelly!  We were posting at the same time, so I missed your reply the first time.   I had wondered about whacking the barrel.   Would I spend more on tools to do the choke job correctly than I would spend on a new barrel?   I have also read some about backboring and reaming to reduce recoil.   This sounds like a fun project, but  I should know what I want for an end result before scrubbing up for surgery.   I appreciate your advice!

I am merely a driver, not a mechanic!  I don't do too much of my own gunsmithing (that's why God invented Accuracy Speaks).  A new barrel is certainly the easiest way to go.  It is not too difficult to find Remington barrels.  

I prefer beads for shooting steel and clay, and they do OK on not-too-difficult slug shots. But the more difficult slug shots are trouble and you are SOL if the point of impact is off from point of aim. I got a 21" 1100 deer barrel with rifle sights, switched the front to a fiber optic and the rear to an Ashley Express, but the sights are holding me back a bit on steel. I've got to try a ghost ring.

Cabelas had great prices on Remington barrels. Make sure you don't get the slug-only rifled deer barrel.