Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I can see & I don't flinch

mquitos

I started shooting 6 months ago and believe I've had breakthroughs that a lot of guys just take for granted. I now have the correct greip and stance(says my shooting buddy), I  nologner flinge during my shots, and I no longer blink. I thinks this a breakthgough fer a newbee like myself.

The only problem left to me is to actually HIT the targets.

:)

I'm pretty new to this game myself.  One thing I've learned is to not take any breakthrough for granted.  It usually takes a sledgehammer to beat it in anyway  so when I have learned something new or improved I want to explore it and find out how I got there.  Try and use whatever it was to get better!!!

Welcome to the forum.

The BEST drill I know for trigger control and sight alignment is a pop can on a string at 10 yds. get that puppy moving, and it's challenging and fun. When it gets easy, move it back.

You'll get into an amazing zone after an hour of this where you can hit that can with the force!

Use a .22 and you can do it 500 times for 10 bucks.

What are you waiting for? :)

SA

Thanks Flex. It worked!!!  I decided to take my time in firing my shots at at the target without any time pressure whatsoever. And I was able to shoot about 3-4 inch groups.

I think I have been misinformed that speed should come first, then accuracy will follow. (I think I read this somewhere....hmmm...).

Anyway, thanks a lot. The sight picture thing is really working for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Heck great breakthrough.

My greatest breakthrough was not flinching so bad as to dig trenches down range with the SBH 44.

I would guess at 20 yards that would have been about a 3 foot error.   I am down to 2 second shots and 8.5 X 11 groups.

But when I hit that dry round 50% of the time it looks like I am swatting at a bee.

• 3 weeks later...

mquitos:  I have been shooting about 4 years and fired maybe 100,000 rounds.  I'm not as good as most of the guys on this board, but I can tell you some things I learned that are importatnt:

1) A lot of the inaccuracy in your shooting will be because of a natural instinct to "nail" the trigger as the sights move across the dead center of the target.  Invariably, rushing the trigger pull will introduce a far larger error in the shot than the very small movement of the gun.  Learn that firing is a two-stage process:  bring the gun into the correct position and then pull the trigger.  If you are trying to focus on both tasks at the same time, the trigger pull will suffer.

2) Some people rush to shoot because their arms are getting tired and the gun is moving too much.

To overcome this, excercise your arms as in a shooting position many times a day until your shoulder muscles have enough endurance that you can hold the gun out for five minutes and still be steady.  Then your brain learns that there is no need to hurry a shot.

3) Convince your brain that you can NEVER hold the gun perfectly still, only get it sighted into a specific area of the target.  When it is, ignore the sights and focus completely on executing a smooth pull of the trigger.  Doing this consistently is harder than you would believe, and under speed pressure you will often revert to yanking the trigger (and the group sizes will show it).