Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In The Ear Electroninc Ear Protection

cbrussell

I realize this subject may have been covered before, but I am interested in competitors' opinions of their long term use of "in the ear" electronic ear protection. I have been using electroninc ear muffs, but would like to switch to an "in the ear" type for hot weather comfort. I see two manufactuers advertised, ESP and EAR. Any thoughts on which is superior? Which one is easier to work wotj locally? (Baltimore, MD.) Any problems with sweat getting into to the ear canel and causing distortion? How do their noise reduction levels compare to muffs? Any pro or con thoughts or comments would be welcome.

Thanks for the input.

I don't know about those brands but I have been using the Radian plugs. They claim a NNR of 26. I also have a set of Peltor Tactical muffs and they seem to be about the same. The Radians seem to have a bit more trouble on windy days than the muffs but they are a lot more comfotable on a hot day. The sound amplification part of the Radians is MUCH more powerful. When I first got them, I had the volume turned up too much and I kept looking for someone talking to me while I was setting up. I couldn't see anyone closer than about 50 yards :huh:

I have been using ESP digital (won the analog set at 2004 Area 8 and later upgraded to the digitals) and really like them. The analog worked OK but produced a lot of ambient background noise such as the overly chrunchy sound of walking on stones or a slight breeze in the tree leaves creating very noisy conditions. The digital ESP's produce really high quality natural sound. Set the amplification level to suit your taste. The sound never cuts out like some electronics do, but is limited to a pre-set maximum level. Due to this feature, they will most likely sound louder than you are accustomed to hearing, but the sound levels are not damaging. A gun shot sounds exactly the same as it would without hearing protection, just not as loud. They work so well that I was astounded when I heard my first squib when I was RO at a Steel Challenge Match. I actually heard the primer go "pfsssssssttt" inside the gun. The sound is so natural that I sometimes forget to take them out when I leave the range, until I start the vehicle and hear all the sounds I never knew existed. If you want to hear everything that is going on around you and still protect your hearing, the $2000.00 pricetag can be justified. Not everyones cup of tea.

On the fair side of the discussion, when I shoot my hybrid super in a confined area, I will turn them off.

If you are looking to suppress sound as much as possible, ESP also offers shot filled sound supressing custom molded ear plugs. I have not tried these, but the theory seems solid.

Larry

Tried the Radian electronic in-the-ear plug about a year ago. Think they were somewhere

in the 80-100 dollar range. Came with 3 different size "tips", spare batteries, etc. Neat

little plugs. Tried them out at a shotgun match and was impressed. Seemed to work fine.

Tried them out a few days later with my Open gun. Not so fine. Downright painful!

Went back to my Dillon HP1's. I think I'll keep them for hunting and rifle shooting, but

never again at a pistol match.

I guess Radian might have changed the design. My mistake. I thought that the flesh colored plugs and the black plugs were the same. Here's the one's I got:

http://www.radiansinc.com/HEARING/enhance_ear.asp

Just about any hearing protection isn't adequate for a comped, ported barrel open gun . If I have the time, I usually leave the area :P