Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rcoil Srpings

talon

There is a lively discussion on recoil springs over on glock talk under general glocking.  Matt has several good posts.  I would be interested in this groups input.

Would I be wasting my time fooling around with things like recoil spring weight before I was at least an A class shooter ?

Also sorry for the title mis-spelling

(Edited by talon at 11:03 am on Aug. 31, 2001)

(Edited by talon at 11:05 am on Aug. 31, 2001)

Talon,

IMO it would not be a waste of time. It would be time spent at the range which is always good. Also you will learn what type of feel YOU like as far as recoil is concerned. You will probably need to know this before you are good enough to get a "A" card. Get a couple of springs and head out to the range and experiment. Find out what feels right. Watch your front sight and see if you can tell a difference. The differences will be sublte, but they are there if you look and feel for them.

I like to watch my Shok Buff. You'll find there's one weight of recoil spring that seriously attenuates the recoil impulse you have to deal with, but still gives you good longevity of the Shok Buff. Drop down another pound and you'll batter the life out of the Shok Buff in 100 rounds. That says to me that spring weight's too light for your gun/ammo combination. Jump back up one pound to the spring weight that didn't batter the gun/buffer and stick with it unless you change loads.

No, you don't have to be an "A" shooter to start experimenting with your springs or to appreciate the effects. Playing with them can also teach you a lot about your gun and help you learn to watch your sights in recoil. I try to watch where the cases are getting ejected to. If they're just dribbling out the ejection port, the spring is too stiff. If it's slinging them 10 yds, that's too weak. Other than that you need to play around between those two extremes to see what gives you the best recoil recovery, sight tracking and feel.

• 1 month later...

You guys made some good points and I agree that shooting the gun with diferent spring weights is a learning experience.  However Dan I will also add that you don't have to worry at all about your glock spring inorder to make A class.  I made A class without experimenting whatso ever.  The only reason  I recently started to experiment was because I started to shoot 130pf loads in my limited gun for IDPA ESP class.  That being said I took the advice of some of the guys on this page and I did find that I like a "little" lighter spring in my P16.  I went from a factory 19lb to a 16lb.  I also found by doing this that if I shoot a few open gun rounds through my limited gun it will send my guide rod cap flying down range and me having to fit another barrel bushing. :(