Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fighter Jet Engines

BrianH

I'm kinda biased towards the Super Hornet (work on them). When we take our jets to Nellis we always mop up the Air Force guys. This could be squadron propaganda to get the troops riled up (probably is) but that is just what they tell us.

Joe

F-18ordbottomM.jpg

Fighter, Bomber, Refueler, Electronic Attack. 4 missions, 1 plane.

Those E/F Hornets are nice. I never had the chance to get close to one as I got out before the new models were deployed. We (F14 mechanics) used to rib our sister F-18C airdales because they weren't "real mechanics". :) See, we actually had to troubleshoot the systems of the Tomcat, while the Hornet mech would duck-in under the nose wheel well and read a CODE that would tell them where the plane wasn't feeling well. We were just jealous of course.

Just think, the next Fighter that follows the new F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (20years) will probably NOT have a human onboard! Technology has developed to the point that the human body is the weak link in the design. The future fighter will fly remotely and be able to sustain 20g's constant.

We'll tell our grandkids that we worked on some of last planes that actually had pilots IN them. :)

Those E/F Hornets are nice. I never had the chance to get close to one as I got out before the new models were deployed. We (F14 mechanics) used to rib our sister F-18C airdales because they weren't "real mechanics". :) See, we actually had to troubleshoot the systems of the Tomcat, while the Hornet mech would duck-in under the nose wheel well and read a CODE that would tell them where the plane wasn't feeling well. We were just jealous of course.

Half of the guys I work with are former Tomcat guys. They are always telling stories. Sounds like it sucked. I work at the RDT&E portion of Hornets (all models A-F) and the "codes" are only right about 65% of the time. They kinda give you a nudge in the right direction. :wacko:

Joe