Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 ACP Spring Scenario

Matt VDW

Here's a scenario for the spring gurus:

The pistol is a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec in .45 ACP.  Aside from a fitted barrel and bushing, Bomar sights, and a trigger job, it is completely stock -- no comps, guide rods, et cetera.

The ammunition used is factory-loaded 230 grain FMJ, round nose, with a muzzle velocity of 810-860 feet per second.

Assuming that fast cycling time isn't a goal but managable recoil and muzzle flip are:

1) What is the best recoil spring weight for this pistol?

2) What is the best mainspring weight for this pistol?

3) Would the use of a Shok-Buff be helpful?

Here's what works in my Kimber.  12.5 lb. recoil spring, 17 lb. main spring and a .200" Heitt buff. Not all 1911s can use a .200 buff. They come in .090", .120" and .200".

2,000 rds so far. I used the same setup in a .40 Kimber, but with an 11 lb. spring. I have "parked" my 1911s for a while and mostly shoot a Glock 35 in Lim 10. I use a 13 lb spring in the Glock. Wish they made one a little lighter.

I use a 12lb recoil spring (w/2 coils cut to fit) cominolli guide rod red buff on front wilson shockbuff on rear 17lb hammer spring. (Kimber, 230gr montana gold bullets) works great have about 2800 rds through it no malfunctions.

Bruce Keeler

My set-up for 170 power factor loads with my 5" 45:

12.5 lb recoil spring w/ Cominolli guide rod using Cominolli's buffs (which I replace every 2k rounds even though they still look great).  

17 lb mainspring

Hope this helps.

Bill