Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Extra Parts If Any Do You Carry?

mshotwell

Extra parts??? If you have a god gun all you need to pack is a bunch of extra full moon clips and ammo. I shot in 8 Area matches and 3 Nationals never bringing a spare part or back up gun for my revos! I always keep a spare bag of ammo in moonclips though!

Bill Sahlberg

L1283

I'm with Bill on that.

I do carry an extra 625 though..............have loaned it out once to another guy whose firing pin broke. ;)

Just keep it oiled, and somewhat clean. I have well over 150 thousand rounds through one of my 625s(all major loads). the star has lost a couple of tips and the trigger pin is a little loose but it still goes bang, and hits where it is pointed. and wouldn't be afraid to shoot it at the Nationals or any where else.

If I were getting spare parts, I'd keep a firing pin, Cylinder stop and more ammo. ;)

SAM

Twice in local matches I have had the stud break off the hand (on two different guns, both 25-2s), leaving me with a revolver that would not revolve. I now carry a couple extra hands of varying thicknesses and a small file and stone. It wouldn't save me on a stage, but I could take the gun to a safe area and have it functional again in 10 minutes or so.

I also carry a few other odds 'n' ends, including an extra MIM cylinder stop and cylinder stop spring, an extra firing pin and spring, a yoke screw, and so forth. I use blue loctite on all screws and religiously check every screw before every match. Tightened down correctly with blue loctite, the screws never loosen.

I always carry an extra 625 in my bag, even to local matches. I have not needed it yet, but it's comforting knowing I have another great gun along if anything happens. It is set up to be virtually identical to my "main" gun and I'm not sure I would notice much difference if I ever switched it in (other than the green fiber optic rod instead of red).

Lots of redundancy in my planning, I suppose.

I guess all that "Be Prepared" stuff has stuck with me to this day.

I will tell one on myself from the A-5 match.

Planned and set out everything as I was packing. On the way to the range on shoot day, I realized the one bag I left sitting on the floor at the house. The one with my gunbelt in it!!!

Other SMART people had extras of the following:

Tom H - Extra liner belt, and CR speed belt

Tom M - Extra holster

Mike C - Extra holster

Keith U - Extra Moon Clip holders

Dan C - Extra Moon Clip holders

So I guess there are a few things that you might not normally think about, but might be worth having a few spares in the trunk of the car.

By the way thanks again to everyone who helped me out. I think it speaks a great deal about the ethics of the shooting community. There probably aren't a lot of sports communities that would help out a fellow competitor so unselfishly.

Everything I carry on me from now on is a spare for those guys, anytime they need it. ;)

I have tried over the years to come up with a spare parts kit for a variety of guns. Usually they consisted of parts I (or someone else) had broken (or lost) before. Unfortunately, I have a skill for breaking parts that I don't have or that usually take more than a 10 minute stop at the safety table (for me anyways).

I had seen guns break during matches and over time became aware that several of the shooters around me were carrying one of everything in a storage format commonly referred to as "an extra gun". I thought, "how extravagant it is to have a whole spare gun."

Then, at last years Nationals I started adding up my match fee, travel costs, vacation time, etc., and imagined a hammer or trigger stud broke on, oh, stage two or similar; or that I knocked the rear sight clean off my gun trying to squeeze in between barricades to paste targets (Sam?) or whatever. I also observed there were no, zero, nada, zip, vendors or gun plumbers for revolver parts and services even at this biggest of the big matches.

Suddenly, an extra $600.00 gun in my bag (tuned as close as practical to be the same as my other gun) sounded like pretty cheap insurance for a shooting season that may include several overnighters to Area matches and similar contests or above.

So for local matches it may not be worth the investment to buy and pre-fit all of the parts that could conceivably break (that you could actually fix outside without bench tools or proper live-fire testing). Rather, save your money and keep your eyes open for a bargain on a "spare".

Then you not only have the ability to just swap it out if it quits, you can experiment with one while not disabling the other if you decide to get into that sort of thing. B)