Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steve "crocodile Hunter" Irwin Dies

Nemo

If doing what you love and dying while doing it is stupid and crazy then I want to die stupid and crazy too.

It really sucks for his children. Steve was charming and loved the unlovable. I wish I could get as excited over the little things like he did.

Saw a bit on Hannity and Colmes today that seemed to set the record straight as to whether Steve Irwin took needless risk. Jack Hanna and Jim Fowler, of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kindom fame*, both said that Steve Irwin took "calculated risks." Mr. Fowler said he also had taken those same kinds of risks. He said that when you know the animal's behavior and respect the animal, you can calculate the risk you can take with some accuracy. Both of those gentlemen also decried the shows wherein the host does certain actions just for ratings or sensation. One bit on a show comes directly to mind, the host ate a huge cockroach, bit it in half while it was still living.:o It was disgusting and sad, both at the same time.

I only watched Steve Irwin's show a few times, but he always seemed full of energy and enthusiasm. Mr. Fowler's comment to Irwin's enthusiasm, zest for life, and full appreciation of all things was that he was that way from when he got up in the morning until he went to bed at night. Whatever else you think of someone, you have to respect that excitement and enthusiasm. B)

*For those who don't remember, Jim Fowler was always out wrestling giant anacondas while Marlin Perkins was in the studio. Mr. Fowler did say today that he wasn't worried about getting hurt, since he had Mutual of Omaha insurance. :lol:

My 2 cents,

L

Yep, I can remember Mutual of Omaha and listening to Marlin Perkins tell the viewers, "...now Jim will jump from the moving helicopter and bulldog that bull elk to the ground while the capture crew lands and gets ready to tag the bull...." all the while Marlin was in the studio in his swivel chair...at least Steve did his own stuff...