Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home Made Pop Out Ipsc Target

mcb

I get error messages when I try ot run this. Invalid parameters. What am I doing wrong?

Jim

Jim are you refuring to my video clips? They are in mp4 format and probably best veiw using Quicktime from Apple. Make sure you have a fairly recent version of the free Quicktime plug in installed in you browser.

mcb

Success!

http://my.stratos.net/~thedump/practical/mcb_pot.mp4

So we set the pot out target up at practice tonight and had a lot of fun with it. We reset the target 40-50 times this evening and only one malfunction near the end. I pretty sure that the bearings and dash pot needed some more grease, both were a little dry. I also need to tweak the activator mechanism to assist in resetting the target more easily

None the less it seems to be very do able. In the video clip above I drew, hit the steel activator, two shots on the right stationary target and then two on the moving target. I managed an alpha charlie on the stationary and two alpha on moving on that run. Some of the other guys were just able to shoot both of the station targets between the activator and the mover. I think that newer shooter will be able to shoot the activator and then the target without too much problem.

Shoot through did happen a few times but not very often and it was pretty easy to tell when it did happen. None-the-less when we use it in a match we will probably use hard cover and definitely going to put a railroad tie in front of the delicate parts to keep some newb from putting a large caliber hole in the linear bearings.

Thanks again for all the input and hopefully I can tweak a few minor bugs and we'll use it for Octobers match. So if you in the area second Sunday of the month stop by.

mcb

Edited by mcb

OK, I finally got to see the target in action.

I would picture using it, or a very similar arrangement in a hallway. I envisoin opeing a door, having the target "Step out" from a side door in the hall, maybe halfway down the hall. You'd have to shoot it as you ran down the hall. A drop turnier wouldnot work since the shooter would be running past this target.

I would set it up so that it popped out through a VERY NARROW slot inthe side wall, so that the shooter cannot engage it as he runs past. The only enggaement would be straight on. Probably need a bit of real hard cover along the wall.

I like it, may need ot slow it down a bit frm the video, although you indicate that you ahve done that already.

I really like the vreativeness of my fellow shooters. Rube Goldberg has nothing on us!

Jim

Just read the thread and I guess I have different philosophy. Since I've read American Handgunner since it began, maybe I'm "poisoned" by the writings of Cooper and Ayoob and all those reports of Chip McCormick and others....

IPSC is supposed to be practical and test our ability to "solve" problems with bullets, with the "problems" reflecting real-life practicalities...

I've run matches and endured watching a guy reload his S&W WunderNine TWICE trying to get only five bowling pins at 7 yards, so I sorta understand the need to keep the less-skilled shooters from wandering off all depressed and discouraged.

But still, if the speed reflects how quickly a person can pop out of a doorway and then hide behind the bodies of innocents while retreating, I think the target is OKAY!!!! That's the first question--is the speed realistic, NOT "can anyone but us speed-hosers hit it?"

The follow-up question should be more like "how can we present this realistic challenge in a way that lets the beginning shooters get at least one hit?. The concessions on ending point, having the shoot target NOT fully obscured at rest, etc., are right on for accomplishing THAT part of our goals.

I DO approve of there being some concern about letting us slowpokes get a hit. The collective thinking in this thread is creative and helpful. Well done!

Frankly, I think the first video of it was usable, at least at close ranges. The final version seems almost too slow. But then jsut add some distance and i'm sure a truckload of folks will be glad to demonstrate they will shoot too fast at something that looks easier than it is (who me? NAH!).

As far as new shooters, i thinkt he friendliest version of it would be disappearing behind hard cover. You should be able to figure out shoot throughs fairly easily. For new shooters that arangement means no hits = you are down ten points for no As. Whereas something that doesn't disappear you better be able to get both hits to be kinder than this setup.

1 A + 1 miss = down 15 points.

A +1 on how to build it. Plus an idea of how much parts would cost.