Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Concealment Vests

Airic

Im looking for a concealment vest to use for IDPA. What does everyone use? Ive looked at the 5.11...but i really wanted something that had two nice size dump pouches on the front. Also I'm left handed so the 5.11 doesnt work really well.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a couple more alternatives.

Cabela's has some really nice lighter weight shooting vests that I'm beginning to see at a lot of matches. One model has a huge "dump" pocket on both sides in front which would work great for a leftie.

Another solution is visit a larger military surplus store if you have one in your area. I have 4 great vests (in 4 different colors) that I bought at an outlet of that type. They were new and only cost something like $20 - $25 each.

Good Luck

I'm in a similar situation. I'm shooting a "real" IDPA match, for the first time in a couple of weeks, and need something better than a Polar Fleece thingy, which is the only vest I've ever worn.

Saw some heavy shirts / light jackets at WallyWorld the other night. I think I'll get one, and perhaps cut the sleeves off. It was cheap $14.99, and the fabric seemed heavy enough to get out of the way.

I tried an untucked dress-shirt over a t-shirt, and that sucked.

I really like my 5.11 Tactical. I too would rather have a large pocket on both sides, but I can make use of the smaller ones on one side.

Actually during a match I don't load my pockets, or weigh down my vest. One thing I like about the 5.11 is the stiffness of the front side panels when doing a draw or reload. no need to fit a coat hanger, cardboard or anything. I do keep my rulebook in the concealment part on my stronghand side though :rolleyes:

I have two wool vests from Filson

the charcoal is the heavier of the two. The other lighter vest has a zipper instead of buttons and works well in the summer time (I don't see it in their current catalog any longer). They work well for me. I've also thought about getting the

travel vest

as an option.

Edited by Albert