Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Rounds Won't Drop (in Barrel)

aggie dad

Try ditching the EGW die for a couple hundred rounds. I had one that I'm pretty sure was a lot too tight and was squishing my cases down creating a fat belt at the base. I had a failure rate of about 20% or worse. I went back to the standard LEE dies with a factory crimp and now have a failure rate of about 3% or so. I use a Midway case gauge and I'm happy with it. I only bought the EGW die because I read about it on the internet and how great it was. I learned a lesson there.

that said I did have an experienced buddy help me dial in the dies and my EGW is set a hair off from touching the shell plate because my decap pin kept releasing when it was touching the shell plate :unsure:

Weird. I don't know why your decapper would do that. I'm not feeling much confidence there ?

I noted that the Lee instructions that came with the EGW u-die said that the decapper should be set flush with the decapper clamp (nut). Since the EGW u-die is essentially a ground down Lee U-die would that mean that the decapper should protrude above the nut and not be set flush? Perhaps that is causing it to release prematurely when I adjust the die to be touching the shell plate??? Does anyone know how much is actually ground off the bottom of EGW version (therefore I am guessing the decapper should protrude by this amount above the clamp)?

Sorry for all the questions, but as a newbie I never anticipated running into these type of issues. Also, apparently my brass has not been case rolled as it has no such fine scatches as Merlin pointed out; don't think I will purchase from that source again.

Thanks,

Doug

Well the problem is solved :D:D:D. When I miked the problem bullets, I noticed the crimp was at .424 vs the others that were at .423, so I ratcheted down the crimp die a thad and the offenders are now at .423 and they drop beautifully into the barrel. Its hard to believe that .001 could have that effect. I may still order an FCD, but sorry to be sending everyone on a wild goose chase. I think it was HK Dan that mentioned paying attention to the crimp die.

Thanks,

Doug

Measurements...cool.

You still might be a bit fat in the crimp.

Mike your bullets, them mike your brass wall.

You'll probably find that the bullets run about 0.400, and the brass wall is 0.010

Add all that up and you should get a finished bullet crimp of 0.420 (two case wall thickness in your finished bullet measurement + the bullet diameter).

With those measurements, I'd go with a crimp of 0.418-0.420 (If you are using plated bullets be careful not to crimp so much as to cut into them.)

Flex, Thanks for that formula, I didn't know that. The cases (Fed nickel) mike at .012 and the bullets are .401. I am using Precision's moly coated 185 gr which are lead. If memory serves me correctly, I believe someone else on here was also crimping precision 185s at .423. When I push the bullet firmly against a hard service, the OAL does not move.

Thanks,

Doug

Yes + .001 CAN make the difference in chambering or not in many match grade barrels.

I would also re-check/adjust the sizing die to kiss the shellplate holder and then adjust the decap pin (new unprimed brass) so the pin is just above the base of the primer pocket. If your decap pin was lifting it was hitting the case and causing it to rise/lift.