Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring for "Open" STI .40

Sixgun

Hi All.

I am building my first open "brasschucker", and was wondering what your advice would be on the recoil spring.

It will be a STI frame, classic slide, flat topped and lightened, bull barrel with the S1 comp. The loads I plan on using are 202 power factor.

Thank you for your help. :)

Ray C.

Flexmoney,

It is the doublestack 2011 frame. It will have a C-More sight on a STI/Alchin single sided mount.

I couldn't afford to build two guns so I opted for the "lightweight pingun" or "heavyweight steel gun". I'm just trying to get all the shooting fun I can out of this gun (if the parts ever get here)!!

Ray C.

I'd be a bit worried about running a lightened slide at a highier power factor.  (worried if the slide would hold up)

Might not be a problem...just my first thought.

I don't think youi give much up going the other way though.  Many Open shooters have heavier guns (set up for 180 power factor or better).

I would look to change loads and springs...depending on which game I was playing.

If you want to run 200pf for pins, I would strongly suggest against lightening the slide, especially with the recoil impulse of the .40.  I have pinguns in 10mm and .45, and they have withstood thousands upon thousands of 210+pf loads with no problems.  You might contact Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle-guns.com.   He built my 10mm to my specs and he is a helluva pin shooter himself, and he could give you the specifics.  We talked about lightening the slide, but there was no advantage with that high of a power factor. I dont see any problem with flat-topping the slide and cutting some serrations or gripping area into the slide, but I wouldnt take big chunks out of it ala EGW steel gun slide.  Hopefully with these pin loads you will have a supported bbl, it is overkill in my 10mm due to the case design, but not all .40 brass is equal.  I went through the same stuff, let me know if I can help.  Have a good one and take a friend Pin Shooting!  

I see that you are from Michigan.  If you havent already, get ahold of Ned Christensen.  He is an "OLE" Pinshooter from Second Chance days.  He would be a good resource also.  DougC

(Edited by DougC at 8:17 am on Aug. 31, 2002)

• 1 month later...

WoW! That is some cool machining on that comp.  I just wonder how well it works, when I see a comp like that it's well far away from the KISS theory.  Then again some people are addicted to the IPSC bug and some are just addicted to custom parts and guns. josh